Free coop past history of Mareks

Hi! I was just offered a free coop which I desperately need and it has a history of mareks. 90% if my birds are from hatcheries but I hatched a few myself and are therefore not vaccinated. And I have a broody hen doing her thing now.
The coop has been empty for 8 months and I would of course clean the crap out of it (cleaning instructions welcome).
Do you think it’s too risky to use?
Thank you!
We lost our first flock to Mareks. While our ladies are all vaccinated now, it is no guarantee that it won't strike again. We allowed the coop to be empty for about 6 months. During that time we completely cleaned and sanitized the coop with a commercial sanitizer. We also sprayed the ground around the coop as a safety measure. After the 6 month period we allowed chickens back in and haven't lost a bird since. If you like I can get the name of the commercial sanitizer we used. It is well thought of and used in commercial egg farms.

We lost our first flock to Mareks. While our ladies are all vaccinated now, it is no guarantee that it won't strike again. We allowed the coop to be empty for about 6 months. During that time we completely cleaned and sanitized the coop with a commercial sanitizer. We also sprayed the ground around the coop as a safety measure. After the 6 month period we allowed chickens back in and haven't lost a bird since. If you like I can get the name of the commercial sanitizer we used. It is well thought of and used in commercial egg farms.
We used Virkon S. It was not cheap, but it did wipe out Mareks.

Back
Top Bottom