How many birds can fit "comfortably"

I had noted that a weather proof run would help.
Honestly... if I was going to go that route. I would wind/water proof the sides as well, as the roof. This would tech make the run one giant coop. 25'x50'coop and then just go back to free ranging them. Would cap me at 125 though... still not enough. I think I need x4 that size.

Honestly... if I was going to go that route. I would wind/water proof the sides as well, as the roof. This would tech make the run one giant coop. 25'x50'coop and then just go back to free ranging them. Would cap me at 125 though... still not enough. I think I need x4 that size.
I know you just bought a new incubator and hatcher for a good deal that will do 270 at a time. But what do you plan on doing with all your new birds?

I know you just bought a new incubator and hatcher for a good deal that will do 270 at a time. But what do you plan on doing with all your new birds?
trying to figure that out... Looking at a poultry dealer license and talking to a vet for bird flu testing now. Do you have any recommendations?

Last edited:
trying to figure that out... Looking at a poultry dealer license and talking to a vet for bird flu testing now. Do you have any recommendations?
IMO, I think you are putting the carriage in front of the horses. You need to get your facilities in order, then your stock in order, then a customer base. Don't think for one minute that you are going to hatch "270" chicks and folks are just going to snatch them up. I'm not trying to be ugly, just speaking from experience. Slow down a bit and get everything situated, instead of diving head first into a 4ft pool.

IMO, I think you are putting the carriage in front of the horses. You need to get your facilities in order, then your stock in order, then a customer base. Don't think for one minute that you are going to hatch "270" chicks and folks are just going to snatch them up. I'm not trying to be ugly, just speaking from experience. Slow down a bit and get everything situated, instead of diving head first into a 4ft pool.

People are not going to snatch up mixed breed chicks at the rate or price you are expecting.

Honestly I see everyone's advice and you're all looking at it at a profit vs non-profit margin. I want for nothing, I need for nothing... I am simply looking for a hobby to spend my days doing. IF I need to build 10 more coops and runs I have the time, the space and the resources to do as such. I ask because I want whats best for the chickens/roosts NOT because I am trying to make a dime. If I need more coops and more runs I will make more coops and more runs. If they don't want my mixed breeds, my full blooded austrolorps or light brahmas then that is also fine as I can eat them just as fine. I think all of you are getting too caught up into making this profitable. I own all my land, I own my home and I have no debt and all the time left on my clock. If it is spent building coop after coop... so be it.

Last edited:
While the often mentioned 1/4/10 minimums are guide lines ... What's not taken into the calculations is breed and size, plus how well they get along, some breeds, or even individual birds just need more space ... For full size "Large Fowl" like the two breeds mentioned ... I'd double the coop size (or reduce number of chickens), and bump the run to a minimum of 100 sqft per chicken, triple would be better ... But that's just me ... As a 10 sq ft run will become a barren moonscape in no time.

Im sorry , the numbers of birds you were putting up sounded less backyard hobby more battery for profit operation.
No my battery is a tiny verse, powered by a micro verse powered by a mini verse. So you're saying I don't even need the run and just the 1'ft square space to store them? lol joking...

I would still like to be able to walk under it, so I don't want to fill ALL of the room in with nesting bars.
Roosting bars? If they are nesting bars, you don’t need ALL that nesting space not even for 20+ hens, you just need like 10 boxes max

Back
Top Bottom