Full, squishy like water balloon near vent, not walking

Momoftres

Songster
Sep 18, 2020
OK, so it’s about the same hen I posted yesterday. She can only walk a few steps. She was getting better today walking more but now when I feel her area around her vent, it feels very full and like it’s full of fluid. Any thoughts? I’m very worried about her.
She is a two-year-old wellsummer. Last egg was probably 2 days or so ago.

It sounds like Ascites aka water belly. She may have an internal infection. I have drained the fluid off of several hens. It will make them more comfortable but I eventually lose them. One survived for about 8 months before the infection got too bad, even with antibiotics.

I could be wrong since I'm just going by your description. My hen that lasted 8 months after being drained twice also had the fluid build up in her back end instead of underneath her.

I'm sorry I wish I had something more positive to offer. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

I'll try and find the video link

The first time I had a hen that had it she had trouble walking, couldn't sit down and seemed to be short of breath. It was when I first had chickens many years ago.

Now I usually find it before it gets that bad. If a hen looks off I feel their abdomen and backside. Also, I randomly feel up my chickens (lol) just to make sure crops and abdomens are feeling OK

Back
Top Bottom