fuzzi's May (First Time With Shipped Eggs) Hatch-a-Long Thread, all are Welcome!

Pics

fuzzi

She Who Brings Grapes
Premium Feather Member
Apr 5, 2022
Pitt County, NC
My Coop
My Coop
:ya
I'm Egg-cited!

Martha's recent brood appears to be all boys...
:barnie
...so eventually they will need to be rehomed.

I was wondering if she'd go broody again, she's been such a good momma.

But now my Dominique Tamar is broody, sitting on faux eggs.
:yesss:

So I ordered her some.
IMG_20240502_184356431~2.jpg

I got 12 eggs, but there's no way Tamar can cover all of them. I can't count on Martha going broody when her chicks are just three weeks old. None of the other hens appear to be going broody.

Enter incubator!
IMG_20240503_053646781~2.jpg

It's a freebie I got through Amaz0n, for the price of a review. It's currently warming up, sitting on my desk in the family/living room. I have tried to somewhat protect it from my cat.

Tentative plans:
1. Eggs arrived yesterday afternoon,will sit large side up until 5pm today, 24 hours after arriving and being settled on the kitchen table.
2. The 6 cleanest eggs will go in the incubator
3. The other 6 will be slipped under Tamar after dark

I've not used an incubator before, so after reading a lot of posts here I have decided to try a dry hatch, adding water to raise the humidity upon lockdown. I don't have distilled water, but I do have a gravity water filter, can use some of its water.

Come on, join the fun!
:celebrate

I'm Egg-cited!

So I ordered her some.
View attachment 3819453

I got 12 eggs, but there's no way Tamar can cover all of them. I can't count on Martha going broody when her chicks are just three weeks old. None of the other hens appear to be going broody.

Enter incubator!
View attachment 3819456
It's a freebie I got through Amaz0n, for the price of a review. It's currently warming up, sitting on my desk in the family/living room. I have tried to somewhat protect it from my cat.

Tentative plans:
1. Eggs arrived yesterday afternoon,will sit large side up until 5pm today, 24 hours after arriving and being settled on the kitchen table.

I've not used an incubator before, so after reading a lot of posts here I have decided to try a dry hatch, adding water to raise the humidity upon lockdown. I don't have distilled water, but I do have a gravity water filter, can use some of its water.

Come on, join the fun!
I'm in! Shipped eggs lets go!! ❤️

I'm Egg-cited!

So I ordered her some.
View attachment 3819453

Enter incubator!
View attachment 3819456

Tentative plans:

Come on, join the fun!
Sounds fun! What breed are the eggs?

I am going to separate the cleaner eggs from the soiled ones shortly. The incubator is holding at 100°F, but went down to 24% humidity. I read that 30% humidity is okay until lockdown, but 24%? :confused:

Addendum: now 23%

Addendum 2: I closed the air vent, humidity back up to 25%.

Am I overthinking this?
:idunno

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom