Gap above gate to the chicken run

Lizzie9352

Hatching
Aug 5, 2020
Southern California
HI. I enclosed the top of a horse stall with hardware cloth. I have a gap between the hardware cloth and the gate opening. Any ideas on how I can predator proof this area?
DF634550-1CD3-4457-AEC5-9BAEB285BFC8.jpeg

Pool noodles. Slice them down one side & slide them on. It isn’t predator proof, per se. but it closes the gap. That’s what I’ve done on my gate for the run.

I just noticed how tiny the gaps are. Pool noodles may not work then. 🤔

We had a similar situation on our run, my husband ended up taking a furring strip and nailing it from the inside of the run across the gap, kind of like a threshold over the top. Just gotta watch your head when you step in;)
Thanks. I’m not sure I can nail something to the metal pipes. There is no wood, which is easier to work with.

I wish I had a pic, but it's dark out. We welded welded wire to close up the gap on the side of a gate we have & it worked perfect. Not sure if you have the ability to weld, but if you did & wanted to see let me know & I'll get a pic.

Or if you wanted to use the furring strip idea @DaisyG2317 mentioned you can drill a pilot hole & use a metal screw, or drill a hole & put a bolt thru. Or a self tapping screw or something like that.

Last edited:
Yes, the gate will be the same as it is now. I’m afraid an animal can squeeze through and make the top gap wider since it can’t be anchored to the gate.
You are right...that wire needs to be attached to something or something is going to squeeze through, raising that wire up. You definitely need a header board above the gate. Is there another post on the right side of the gate to attach to?
You can buy drill bits to go thru anything, btw.

I agree with @Kiki. If the gate will remain as is, there's no need to seal the top. If you decide to harden the run, I can share pics of how I overlapped hardware cloth between the door and wall to seal the gap.

Back
Top Bottom