GLuten free feed??????

Thank you for the information. Under the ingredients it states "barley" which is gluten. I have read this on every gluten free claiming bag of food I have ran across. Just be careful to read the ingredients and not go by the claim on the front. Just as with human food. The package will say gluten free then flip it around to ingredients and wham gluten in it. Thanks for the link though.:)

What seeds do you use in your mix?
I've finally settled on my gf grains for the chickens. I mix whole black sunflower seeds, brown rice, split peas (yellow or green), millet, gf oats, chia seeds and brown flaxmeal seeds. Originally I was also putting in gf cornmeal, but only bc we had bought a small bag of very finely ground to cook with, and I didn't like the texture. But as you see, I decided to leave corn out bc my birds get a bit of Scratch every day anyway. We bought almost everything in bulk from a local grocery store.

Last edited:

Aren't oats gluten free?

Yes but most oats are unsuitable for celiacs. They are often grown in the same field as wheat and contaminated. Also oats contain avena protein which is similar to gluten and can cause reactions.
I didn't know that. Actually I've never eaten the gf oats. I hate oatmeal but thought I'd buy them and bake some oatmeal raisin cookies someday. I don't feel my gluten intolerance is terribly out of hand even though I am Celiac as of 2009. My GI dr just said never cheat bc even if we have no outward and immediate side effects, the gluten is still damaging us. Maybe I'd better make a batch of cookies to find out if I get a reaction to the gf oats or not. I never purposely cheat but lately have just been trying to be a bit more aware like with the feed. However the scientist/vet at UC Davis said when a chicken eats something the chemicals are changed so there is no gluten in eggs. He did not mention about the chickens themselves however and I didn't ask bc we do not process our small flock. They are strictly for the eggs at least for now.

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you cook any of these ingredients or is it a raw mix of seeds? I want to go ahead and switch them over to this mixture AS
AP. Do you think white rice would be ok? My 1st time w/ this. I appreciate all suggestions. Can I ask what age they were when you started, how old they are now, how many girls and eggs you get per day with this mix? Thank you in advance, Tina:)

I don't mean to give health advice. It is just something I heard from people with celiac.

No problem. There's always been a controversy, as I understand from my reading, about regular oats and Celiac. So when I found gf oats, I thought "they" must have figured out how to make them safe for us. But, I just bought a big box of gf Cheerios to try and then read an article that they made a lot of people very very sick, actually putting some in the hospital. So yikes, now I'm afraid to est any of the Cheerios. Good thing I'm not big on breakfast cereals anyway:)

Back
Top Bottom