Goose not able to walk

Halopino213

Chirping
Jun 6, 2016
History: almost 1 year old embden goose. Broody over last 3 weeks. We do not have a drake so injury not possible. Lives with chickens and is our only goose.

Sunday: acting completely fine. Went to bed fine. Walking Normal.

Monday: morning- squatting in house. Hobbles out. Progresses over day to not walking/eating. Ready to lay first egg ever at some point.

Tuesday: vet visit. Able to retrieve egg. Still not waking.

Wednesday: still not walking. Got meloxicam to help with pain. Sciatic nerve pain?

Thursday: trying to stand up without success. Is able to maneuver in full bathtub. Tries to up and flap wings but can’t extend wings. We are massaging and extending both legs and wings.

Friday: no progress. I have a video of her but can’t post it. She tries to stand up. Throws her head forward and down for balance. Wings somewhat go out. It’s like there is a disconnect between her legs and the rest of her body.

Any ideas?

In consideration of the egg you received shortly after symptoms occurred, it's possible she suffered from a case of obturator paralysis. Obturator paralysis is defined by when an egg, often of an abnormally large size, presses up against the obturator nerves, which frequently results in paralysis, this all usually happens in a short manner of time. If proper therapy is performed to induce passage of the egg, most birds recover from the paralysis, but others may have hard times doing so, and that is usually indicative that there was excessive damage to the nerve.

There is no telling how long the lameness might last, but continuing with the supportive care, and an analgesic is a good start back to normality. Keeping her on soft grounds, and letting her bathe in deep cool water may be helpful in getting her to move her legs around. Other possible causes of her leg problem may include spinal damage or heavy metal poisoning of some sort.

In consideration of the egg you received shortly after symptoms occurred, it's possible she suffered from a case of obturator paralysis. Obturator paralysis is defined by when an egg, often of an abnormally large size, presses up against the obturator nerves, which frequently results in paralysis, this all usually happens in a short manner of time. If proper therapy is performed to induce passage of the egg, most birds recover from the paralysis, but others may have hard times doing so, and that is usually indicative that there was excessive damage to the nerve.

There is no telling how long the lameness might last, but continuing with the supportive care, and an analgesic is a good start back to normality. Keeping her on soft grounds, and letting her bathe in deep cool water may be helpful in getting her to move her legs around. Other possible causes of her leg problem may include spinal damage or heavy metal poisoning of some sort.
Thank you for your reply! This is my first thought. That something happened due to the egg. It was pretty big. She was acting normal up until that point. She is getting her meds.

I plan on doing some nutrient supplementation today and see if that helps.

I bought new food, Nutri Drench and Poultry Cell. Any ideas on when to expect improvement if there will be any? Of course I want it to be overnight but realize that is a little unreasonable.

Thank you for your reply! This is my first thought. That something happened due to the egg. It was pretty big. She was acting normal up until that point. She is getting her meds.

I plan on doing some nutrient supplementation today and see if that helps.

I bought new food, Nutri Drench and Poultry Cell. Any ideas on when to expect improvement if there will be any? Of course I want it to be overnight but realize that is a little unreasonable.

If you pinch the distal point of her toe with a pair of forceps, does she react as if it is painful? Or does the action not bother her?

Look who is standing! She still gets off balance when she tries to walk but this is better than nothing!! Still not eating. Fighting me on giving supplements.
7ED26610-437D-4E2C-804A-985A1325C31F.png

Back
Top Bottom