Gotta Love Dogs that Chase Hawks

jimnjay

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Bryant Alabama
This is the second time this has happened recently. I see the chickens run for cover and then the dogs, A Great Pyrnese and an Aussie, take off running in hot persuit of a hawk. Today I had just brought in the Faverolles who were free ranging and had gone to get fresh water. The Hawk just lifted off the ground and the dogs chased it till is was not longer around our acreage. I quickly did a head count and everyone was safely under some sort of cover.

When I first got chickens my Aussie was curious and wanted to help herd them. She is a smart girl and accepted the fact that she was not to bother the chickens but I let her chase the crow off. Somehow she does know the difference between her chickens and crows and hawks. The Great Pyr, just naturally barks and chases anything that moves around here.

I am so lucky that I have not had one try to get inside my pens. I have 4 pens and a large fenced chicken yard. All are long and narrow. It may be that they don't feel comfortable around the dogs or they don't have enough room to maneuver in the narrow space.

Since this has happened twice recently I am going to string wire over the top and attach streamers. I did that the first year but have not had problems again. I think its time to be defensive again.

Around here the crows chase the hawks, it's pretty cool to watch them hit and run, it's usually 3-1 crows win:lol:

My dogs like to watch over our chickens also I feel very good knowing they are together.
P1010099-1.jpg

Last edited:
Barnyard and Sandra......Triplets??? lol

Oct2005014.jpg

Here's my big boy after a hard day of playing:
12_14_05a020.jpg

And my yellow, she's all grown up now:
Oct2005001.jpg

COOLNESS! Aren't labs great!

Mine chase the crows out of the yard too! They don't dare to touch the chickens, but the black one will help herd one if he see's I'm trying to catch it!!! SMART BOY that one!

I wanted a yellow lab next, but DH wants a golden....we'll see what we end up with-- maybe just a mutt!

Sandra

Yes- they really are great.

i've got 4 yellows out of my Chocolate male and Yellow female (well, 3 of them are really white and 1 is a nice cream color) that are 8 weeks old and ready to go to their new homes now. I'm sure gonna miss 'em, though when they're gone. I reallllly love lab puppies!

Hah - the title caught me on this one... I am always so impressed that my two Great Pyrenees extend their job in "all directions", routinely chasing hawks and eagles.

Back
Top Bottom