Hatched Chick (Somewhat Graphic Pic)

altair

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2010
I had this guy hatch this morning and it appears his intestines were not fully absorbed into his body cavity. Is this an instant death sentence?

Yikes! Looks like it hatched a little early and didn't absorb its yolk sack. I've never had this happen but I'm incubating the first time right now and from the research I've done, I think it's best to leave them alone and separate them from other chicks and put them back in the incubator or under a heat lamp and see if it will absorb it. I'm no pro but that's what I've read. There is articles on here about it too. I hope it survives!

I had this guy hatch this morning and it appears his intestines were not fully absorbed into his body cavity. Is this an instant death sentence?

That is the yolk sac and if you can keep the little guy from rupturing it, it has a good chance of absorbing it and being perfectly fine. I had one last year and I put a damp paper towel in the bottom of a coffee cup and sat him in it and placed the cup under my brooder light. (You can stick it back in the bator if you have room.) A yolk that size will take quite a while normally to finish absorbing.

The trick is keeping the yolk from rupturing. If it ruptures the chances of survival are significantly less. About all you can do after it ruptures is tie it off by the navel and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom