HELP MY GREAT DANE MAULED MY HEN WHITE FEATHER TURKEY 4 DAYS AGO!!!!!

Turkeygal1991

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2023
My 2 year old great dane mauled my hen turkey 4 days ago. Almost all her feathers were ripped out and meat with them. She has some puncture wounds from being bit. I have cleaned her brought her inside and kept her in the bath tub. I have put prescription antibiotic ointment on her wounds, but the first 2 days I kept honey on her wounds. Now she has some wounds that have a green color to them. I am afraid she has an infection. I am going this evening to tractor supply to get injectable penicillin but I do not know how to give her the injection what size needle or how much. If anyone could please help me I would really appreciate it alot. Thank you so much.

Could you post any pictures of the wounds? Green skin is usually bruising, but is there any bad odor or pus? A great thing to use on wounds is chlorhexidene 2% antibacterial or Hibiclens 4% plus a little water. Microsyn AH wound spray or similar is also good and saline is fine as well. Plain Neosporin ointment is good to put on the wound after it dries twice a day. Can you get any amoxicillin or other oral antibiotic? Aqua Mox amoxicillin is available online. Dosage is 250 mg given orally for a 5 pound chicken twice a day for 10 days. If you find procaine penicillin G in your feed store refrigerated meds and syringes with needles, give 0.25 ml 1/4 inch deep into the breast muscle once a day for 4-5 days. Someone recently posted that it is no longer available at feed stores, but I have not looked locally to verify that. Here is a link for Aqua Mox:
https://www.allivet.com/product/aqu...ZeohAvT9z8q_qhJ3Ti3QH2M0wCSMO0pRoC1CoQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
My 2 year old great dane mauled my hen turkey 4 days ago. Almost all her feathers were ripped out and meat with them. She has some puncture wounds from being bit. I have cleaned her brought her inside and kept her in the bath tub. I have put prescription antibiotic ointment on her wounds, but the first 2 days I kept honey on her wounds. Now she has some wounds that have a green color to them. I am afraid she has an infection. I am going this evening to tractor supply to get injectable penicillin but I do not know how to give her the injection what size needle or how much. If anyone could please help me I would really appreciate it alot. Thank you so much.
Pictures will be helpful?

Back
Top Bottom