Help! We accidentally brought home mystery chicks!

FCCottageFlock

Hatching
Feb 20, 2022
Hello! I am new to BYC, and this is my very first forum post. I'm really hoping that some folks might be able to help me figure out what kinds of chicks we brought home from our local Rural King last night.

I had decided to add six new chicks to our little backyard flock in which our current girls are getting on up in age, and I told my 11 year old daughter that she could choose among any of the breeds available at Rural King right now, with the exception of any bantam breeds.

So we got to the store last night and it was a madhouse in the baby chick section of the store. Not only did they have more bins of different types of chicks than I've ever seen in any farm store - local or chain - there were also SO many people there at the same time we were, also looking at and selecting chicks. They also had quite a few breeds in stock tanks labeled with chicken varieties I've never heard of (like Calico Princess).

Since it was so crowded, I let my 11 year old daughter along with my 14 year old daughter get up close to the tanks with all the varieties of chicks available, and I kind of stood back as the girls walked around and chose six different chicks from six different stock tanks, and ask the store employee working with the chicks to please scoop up the chicks my younger daughter selected and box them up to be taken to checkout.

The plan was for my 14 year old daughter to take a photo with her phone of the sign on each stock tank from which each of the chicks my 11 year old selected was scooped up for the girls. However, when we got home, it turned out that something hadn't worked right with the camera on her phone, and so I have NO idea what four of the six chicks are!!

I have figured out that one of them is a Wellsummer, and another one is a Blue Australorp because I definitely saw my younger daughter ask the store clerk for one of each of those chicks, but as far as the other four go, I'm just pretty baffled.

I'm attaching some photos, and I'm hoping some of you baby chick ID experts can help me figure out what breeds we brought home. I'm pretty sure that the white chick is either a White Jersey Giant or a California White, and I think I saw her choose a Black Jersey Giant, but none of the chicks is all black. They all have some markings.

Does anyone have any guesses on the breeds of our new mystery chicks that we brought home? I've attached photos from several angles of each chick except the white one, and I've also included one photo with all six chicks, including the Wellsummer and Blue Australorp chicks I believe I've identified correctly.

Thanks! Can't wait to hear what people think.

Attachments

• A02B702B-F8EA-43E4-9840-CEC20F74261A.jpeg
    A02B702B-F8EA-43E4-9840-CEC20F74261A.jpeg
    522.2 KB · Views: 40
  • CAFE08AD-C144-415A-A32C-30D8CF6B791C.jpeg
    CAFE08AD-C144-415A-A32C-30D8CF6B791C.jpeg
    603.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 82573C13-41F0-4C9A-BBD6-71D74959A4A0.jpeg
    82573C13-41F0-4C9A-BBD6-71D74959A4A0.jpeg
    511.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 3FDEB6B5-713E-4309-AAA6-30A9FEFAF1DC.jpeg
    3FDEB6B5-713E-4309-AAA6-30A9FEFAF1DC.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 22
  • F3601DE4-5FC2-4B36-B2D5-5F5B276CEFB8.jpeg
    F3601DE4-5FC2-4B36-B2D5-5F5B276CEFB8.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 43D0FB6D-4E7B-4CC3-A2C3-8C84CF987FEC.jpeg
    43D0FB6D-4E7B-4CC3-A2C3-8C84CF987FEC.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 22
  • FFAC14BA-4A1B-4FA1-8EE2-EE3B2EEC5814.jpeg
    FFAC14BA-4A1B-4FA1-8EE2-EE3B2EEC5814.jpeg
    599.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 92D5FD5C-2BE0-4158-8AB4-7F026C4EA8AB.jpeg
    92D5FD5C-2BE0-4158-8AB4-7F026C4EA8AB.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 23
Why do you say this? It's not unlike my Blue Australorps were:

View attachment 3000084

At that age differentiating between the Blue Australorps' white legs and the Blue Rocks' yellow legs was extremely difficult even live rather than in a photo. :)
Head spot
Blue Australorps and Sapphire Gems are often a similar sexlink cross. Males have a head spot

The "Blue Australorp" is a male Sapphire Gem Hybrid.

The blacks are either Black Australorps (pure) Jersey Giants, or Black Sexlink females.
The white is probably a Leghorn.
The gray is a Light Brahma.
Thank you! This is very helpful, I wasn't actually thinking that the chick with the light spot on (what's apparently) his head was a Blue Australorp. I didn't include an individual photo of the chick I believe to be a Blue Australorp because I'm pretty sure that what she is. But I think you're right that the chick with the spot on his head is a Sapphire Gem, because that's one breed they had, and my daughter was definitely looking in that particular stock tank full of chicks. It's a bummer that the chick is a male though because we live in the city, and our local chicken ordinance doesn't allow roosters, so we will have to find him a good home soon. I was excited to see that all the chicks Rural King had available were already sexed, but they must have sexed that little guy wrong.

Thank you! This is very helpful, I wasn't actually thinking that the chick with the light spot on (what's apparently) his head was a Blue Australorp. I didn't include an individual photo of the chick I believe to be a Blue Australorp because I'm pretty sure that what she is. But I think you're right that the chick with the spot on his head is a Sapphire Gem, because that's one breed they had, and my daughter was definitely looking in that particular stock tank full of chicks. It's a bummer that the chick is a male though because we live in the city, and our local chicken ordinance doesn't allow roosters, so we will have to find him a good home soon. I was excited to see that all the chicks Rural King had available were already sexed, but they must have sexed that little guy wrong.

Sexing at the hatchery is about 90% accurate.

Why do you say this? It's not unlike my Blue Australorps were:

View attachment 3000084

At that age differentiating between the Blue Australorps' white legs and the Blue Rocks' yellow legs was extremely difficult even live rather than in a photo. :)
It's nice seeing you use boxes that way in the brooder, I do that too. It gives them something to explore.

It's nice seeing you use boxes that way in the brooder, I do that too. It gives them something to explore.

So far they've always slept in a pile somewhere, but they spend the day going in and out of the box and up on their mini-perch/on the bricks and all over everywhere -- using the full 4x8 space as soon as I'm confident that they can find their food.

Back
Top Bottom