HELP! Weak Duckling! (WITH PICTURES)

DuckyMom

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
Upstate NY
My Indian Runner just hatched out 8 ducklings and her 7th turned out much smaller than the others and very weak. He is unable to walk and his right wing points down instead of back. He is sort of scooting short distances but other than that he can barely keep himself upright. He spends most of his time sleeping and hasn't eaten or drank yet. (I'm not too concerned because he's only a few hours old) But he still seems very off balance for a duckling his age.
Any ideas what could be wrong with him? I really feel for the little guy and want to help him.
I have a couple of pictures but he doesn't seem too unhealthy in photo.

Thanks
Emily

maybe sugar water or electrolytes to give him a boost. If he is that much smaller there could be something wrong with him genetically or health wise. Good luck.

aw hes a runt
sad.png
i feel bad. try to feed him and see if he gets stronger. Just wait a little maybe he will be ok.

I couldn't get him to take any food, but I did get a few drops of water into him. I'll try getting him to take some more in a few minutes.
fl.gif

Emily

I couldn't get him to take any food, but I did get a few drops of water into him. I'll try getting him to take some more in a few minutes.
fl.gif

Emily
If he just hatched of course he isn't going to eat or drink. I think you should let him rest and offer water and food in 24 hrs. they live on the yolk sac for at least 2 days. Just my opinion of course. He sure is a cutie.

When it comes to electrolytes, what should I use? Is there a product meant for this kind of thing or should I try a gatorade or pedialyte?

When it comes to electrolytes, what should I use? Is there a product meant for this kind of thing or should I try a gatorade or pedialyte?
Have you ever heard of save a chick, you can get it at most feed stores and TSC very cheap mix it with water. also Poultry Nutri Drench is another great one to have on hand, all my ducklings and chicks get it in their water. Till you can get either of these 2 products that are for fowl, use these other 2 you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom