Hen can’t lift neck after attacked by fox

At some point with a sick chicken, it will be necessary to tube feed due to the decline caused by dehydration and starvation. It can mean the difference between the patient surviving or dying.

You need to obtain the tubing kit. You can get one from a vet for a few dollars or order it here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095J7PFV..._csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&tag=backy-20

I mix up a raw egg, a teaspoon of sugar, Poultry Nutri-drench, yogurt, and warm water to half a cup total. The tube is inserted as the diagram shows inserting the syringe.
IMG_5987.png

I’ve just ordered this, does it look ok? Unfortunately I’m not able to get her the poultry nutridrench, is there anything else I could use instead?
@LaFleche

Sorry to hear about your hen.

Do you have photos?

Good advice from @coach723 . In addition to her suggestions, I'd also start vitamin therapy to offer nerve support since she's suffered trauma to the head/neck. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

Let us know how she's doing.
Would it be okay to give her these vitamins twice a day? One lot in the morning and another at night again?

Sorry to hear about your hen - I've had the exact same thing happen yesterday! Really keen to hear how your girl is getting along? Any improvement?
Hi, I’m so sorry to hear that! She’s doing okay, its been a week since the attack and I’m honestly so surprised she’s still alive. She definitely seems to have more control of her neck, it doesn’t just flop to the floor straight away. She is very weak though, can’t stand at all, however she’s still got a nice red comb. I’ve been having to syringe water into her to keep her hydrated as she’s struggling to drink on her own. I’ve also been having to force feed her foods like tuna, scrambled egg, porridge etc, (anything that’s soft and easy to slide down her throat) it’s very messy haha. Just keep her comfortable, I’ve got Stacey in a black box with straw higher on one side to rest her neck on and support it, and a towel on top of her back. You might need to buy Vitamin E and Vitamin B however I’ve only been using it a couple of times now so can’t really say whether it’s helped or not. Might also be worth buying a feeding tube early on, as I only just ordered one yesterday as I’m really worried that there is not enough food getting into her. How is your girl? What’s her symptoms like?

Hi, I’m so sorry to hear that! She’s doing okay, its been a week since the attack and I’m honestly so surprised she’s still alive. She definitely seems to have more control of her neck, it doesn’t just flop to the floor straight away. She is very weak though, can’t stand at all, however she’s still got a nice red comb. I’ve been having to syringe water into her to keep her hydrated as she’s struggling to drink on her own. I’ve also been having to force feed her foods like tuna, scrambled egg, porridge etc, (anything that’s soft and easy to slide down her throat) it’s very messy haha. Just keep her comfortable, I’ve got Stacey in a black box with straw higher on one side to rest her neck on and support it, and a towel on top of her back. You might need to buy Vitamin E and Vitamin B however I’ve only been using it a couple of times now so can’t really say whether it’s helped or not. Might also be worth buying a feeding tube early on, as I only just ordered one yesterday as I’m really worried that there is not enough food getting into her. How is your girl? What’s her symptoms like?
Good to hear that there is progress overall - though that tubefeeding sounds a bit scary. Force feeding by hand doesn't seem great either. My italian girl is improving too. She didnt move much yesterday, but there is more strength in her today. A bit more control of the head. When she "sits" she can lift her head of the ground a bit and can shake it too, so there must be some strength in her still. She was also able to stand today. So we'll keep treating her in hopes she'll recover.

Hi so an update on Stacey. Still having to force feed her food and water as she is showing no interest in eating at all. She’s been able to stand up better on her own without collapsing. She is really stinky and her poops are super runny. She appears to just want to sleep all the time with her eyes shut. Also noticed that her neck is very crooked to the left. Any advice ?
IMG_6042.jpeg

I'm sorry Stacy is not improving.

Marek's disease comes to mind. Unfortunately, I think you are doing what you can for her with home care unless you are able to seek vet care and have her examined and better suggestions can be offered.

Back
Top Bottom