Hen Losing Weight While Molting?

HappyFeetHens

Chirping
May 22, 2018
I have a 2-3 year old RIR hen who is definitely molting, but she seems to have been losing weight recently. Another hen is molting too, but the one I’m concerned about is considerably smaller. I’m thinking she may have been losing weight prior to the molt, but when you see them every day it’s hard to notice quickly. She has to be losing more than feathers; I have NEVER seen a hen molt to the point of being this much smaller.

She seems to be eating and drinking, no signs of dehydration or anything. When I brought some bread she was eager to eat it. She’s still very active; in fact, she seems extra active. I honestly can’t figure out why she’s so small. She just looks so thin. Also, she was shivering while I was feeding today and no others were. Not sure if it’s size, rain, temperature, or all of those causing the shivering.

I’m including some pictures of her with the others. They are all the same age (except my leghorn who is less than a year old). Please excuse the nasty run — we’ve had snow, rain, snow, and more rain lately so it’s quite a mess :/

I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice! I’m thinking maybe giving her some more protein could help? As far as I can tell, it’s not really bothering her, but I worry!
7424FEF0-7D30-4935-B189-9E284D1DC5E8.jpeg
9865F016-3590-4F68-8222-D8134FD02D99.jpeg
5B35E621-7EF6-4037-98F8-BFF4D21723DF.jpeg
25F7DD42-647E-422A-A1F7-A0A7EEEFE32A.jpeg

Is there any way you can have a local vet run a fecal float for you?

She is looking quite little.
Have you done an am/pm crop check?

What is the protein level that you are currently feeding?
Growing feathers takes a lot of protein.

I agree that checking her crop to make sure that it is emptying overnight would be good. Feel of it before she eats or drinks in early morning. If it is full and hard, doughy, or puffy, something may be wrong.

Also either getting a fecal float on her droppings, or if you cannot, worming her with Valbazen 1/2 ml once and again in 10 days may be helpful.

If you could place her in a dog crate on a puppy pad or paper towels overnight, you could collect some droppings as well as post a picture of them here. Coccidiosis can sometimes be a problem in grown hens, and the fecal test would show that as well as worms. Coccidiosis is usually treated with amprollium (Corid in the water.)

I’d definitely look into the worming angle, as others have suggested. Considering the difficulties you’re having with too much rain, I would also add a bale of carbon—straw or hay (or coarse wood shavings if that’s all you can easily access) to that run—as much as will fit without them bumping their little heads on the ceiling. The soppiness makes it that much easier for parasites, plus puts stress on the birds.

So last night it snowed and the temperatures are very low... the only door not frozen shut for the coop is where I feed and water, which is up high where the nest boxes are. The run doors are frozen shut. Unfortunately, that means I can’t get to her. She wouldn’t come up to the upper part of the coop. However, I could tell she is definitely worse. She is not active like yesterday and she had trouble eating the bread i gave her. She’s beginning to look dehydrated now.

From what you’re saying and from prior knowledge, it does sound like it could be coccidiosis, but is it possible that only she would have it, not my others?

As for protein levels, I believe they’re on 18%. Thank you all for your suggestions. Is there anything I can do while I can’t get to her?

I would keep try to get in the coop doors to get her out. I don’t know what yours are like but I have to bag a bit on doors and windows to get them open if there is a freeze or snow, like we had this morning. An electric hairdryer might help if you have a plug or an extension cord. If necessary get out and shovel around it too. My chickens will come outside in the snow if I shovel a path.

I finally got the door open (accidentally broke the lock :barnie) and I was able to bring her in with some water and feed. She is eating and drinking normally now and has perked up quite a bit just in the 15 minutes since I got her out. But I’m still concerned about her tiny size as well as shivering that has continued, even though she is warm and breathing normally. Ideas?

I finally got the door open (accidentally broke the lock :barnie) and I was able to bring her in with some water and feed. She is eating and drinking normally now and has perked up quite a bit just in the 15 minutes since I got her out. But I’m still concerned about her tiny size as well as shivering that has continued, even though she is warm and breathing normally. Ideas?
Is she really smaller or just looks smaller from her losing feathers? Shivering is a way for an animal to warm up. You could take her inside for a bit until she warms enough to stop shivering than take her back out to see how she does.

I would offer some animal based protein to help her grow her feathers quicker. Things like scrambled eggs, canned fish, or cottage cheese.

Back
Top Bottom