Pics
Aug 18, 2023
Hi – I’m Cynthia, a newbie backyard chicken parent. Henny Penny showed up in July 2022 and stayed. We thought we’d like a few hens once we retired, but that little stray accelerated the process. As the name (which stuck) implies, we mistook Henny for a “she” but crowing and beautiful saddle & hackle feathers later explained why the shiny new nesting box wasn’t used. Henny Penny ate treats from our hands and pecked at the door for more. He’s grown into a magnificent big boy. Best guess 15 or so months? Maybe a BCM? ID help appreciated!!

We added 3 mixed pullets in November to give him company (one each RIR, Barred Plymouth Rock & Welsummer) and Henny takes his roostering seriously, to the point of wearing off some back feathers. So, we recently added 4 more to the flock to boost the rooster-to-hen ratio up to 1 rooster to 7 hens (one each Black Copper Marans, Olive Egger, Americauna and White Face Black Spanish.) Henny tidbits, feeds his favs beak-to-beak, always gives the gals first dibs on treats, vigilantly warns of hawks or other threats, and gallantly stands guard while girls are laying. Recently, when a hawk was circling overhead, he shepherded the gals to safety, marched to the middle of the yard, and stood bravely looking up at the sky. He’s become so protective now he won’t let us get close to the ladies anymore – at least so far during this first mating season.

Annnnnd… one of our new “pullets” has morphed into a cockerel. That’s not going down well at all and puts us back to the same rooster-to-hen ratio with only 3 hens for each rooster. Today Henny tried to kill Conchita - the cockerel.

It's heartbreaking, but we urgently need to rehome Henny. We'd love to find a situation where he’ll have lots of ladies to care for and won’t be confined to a cage or small run. During the day, Henny and our gals free-range a large, fenced area with trees, shrubs and flowerbeds for dust-bathing. He’s had organic feed.

I know there are so many unwanted roosters - that's how we accidentally got into all this, because of an abandoned rooster. But I'm hoping someone has a larger flock that would appreciate Henny’s protection and attentions? If so, Henny’s your fella. We're in Travelers Rest, SC area in the Upstate. We're also really close to Western NC.

Update: last night Henny lunged at my husband who has never been as bonded with him and is pretty keen to vote him off the island.

Update 2: Based on a bunch of great input here - thank you!!! - We've decided to work with Henny to be less aggressive and rehome Conchita the fabulous White Faced Spanish cockerel... the breeder has offered to help us place Conchita (new pic attached.) Hopefully soon as the situation is tense here. If you are interested in Conchita, speak soon! (See last 3 pics) Conchita the cockerel is about 5 months.

Attachments

• Henny 2.jpg
    Henny 2.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8002 sq.jpg
    IMG_8002 sq.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2917.jpeg
    IMG_2917.jpeg
    705.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3877.jpeg
    IMG_3877.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3861.jpeg
    IMG_3861.jpeg
    962.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Beautiful photos! ❤ We do have a Buy Sell and Trade forums at the bottom of our forums list. Here is the link to our Animals to Good Home forum you can place an ad... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

Good luck I hope you can find him.a good home!
Oh you are so kind. Fond thanks for taking time to share this link... I'll go over there right this second. He's a marvelous rooster - we just don't have the right situation for him.

Back
Top Bottom