Hinging/Flashing for external nest boxes?

my urban barnyard

Chirping
12 Years
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, IL
I'd like to add a set of external nest boxes to my coop, both to save interior space and to allow easier egg collection, but am looking for suggestions one how to create the hinged lid that is weather resistant. Looking at most of the pictures I see of other coops, I'm not sure what is keeping rain from seeping into the seam where the roof meets the coop. Thanks for any tips!

Hello my urban barnyard,
My external nest box lid is hinged to the vertical wall above the boxes. The roof of the coop above the nest boxes extends out beyond the nest boxes. We haven't had any water get into the nest boxes yet. Of course where I live we get less than 11' of rain a year.
barnie.gif

Here's a pic of the outside of my nest boxes:

56638_coop82010.jpg

here is what I am doing on my new coop, where you connect the top of the box to the outside of the coop leave about a two inch strip along the top of the box to screw the hing into, get a bicycle inner tube and cut it to the size of a piano hinge, put it under the piano hinge and screw it down and you will have a perfectly waterproof joint, I did that when I built my teardrop camper, works like a charm

We used the bicycle inner tube suggestion (over or under the piano hinge), works great...no leaking.

Another option (if your coop is at least 48 inches tall) is to simply mount the nest boxes inside, but elevated at least 18 inches. You lose no floor space that way either...
I was considering an external box on a small coop I'm building, and decided to tack a 6 inch strip of (clear) heavy vinyl cloth (tucked up under the siding) that would then overlap the upper edge of the nest box lid...

I used a strip of the plastic edging used on tubs and showers. It's about 1" in width, bends in the middle and has a sticky caulk on one side. I cut it to the length of the nest box, bent it in the middle and then screwed my piano hinge over it. Seems to be working just fine. I also have an overhang to help keep the worst of the rain off. Good luck.

I extended the roof of the exterior nest box a bit over the box itself then just put a door on the front of the box. I was too worried about leaking at the hinge side of a lift up roof. I'm sure the rubber over the hinges would work well, but we get so much snow and rain here that I thought I'd be safer this way. I've had good luck so far and it's been a full year using the exterior box. Good luck.

40971_027.jpg

40971_021.jpg

Here are two pictures of how I did it.
The piece that covers the hinges is scrap rubber pond liner. I cut it in a strip and stapled it over the hinges, then I nailed the trim board over the stapled edge. So it is flexible when I open the lid to access the nest boxes. I have read of using the wide vinyl floor molding that goes around the edge that you can get at the home center.
Good Luck
wink.png

I used rubber shower pan liner for mine. One half is under my shingles and the other half is under a piece of cedar trim. Due to my having used T1-11 siding, I had to put silicone in the gaps in the beading and along the top seam of my trim. So far, it has worked well. The rubber pan liner I bought at Lowes and I only had to pay by the foot and buy only what I needed. Since the liner was only 6 feet wide, I had to put contact cement on the ends to make it longer.

Back
Top Bottom