HOW DO YOU CONTROL HUMIDITY??

muscovy94

Crowing
15 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
hEY everyone i was wondering if anyone on here could help me in how to control humidity. like how do you keep it set on a certain percentage??

Thanks.

I have found a way that is easiest for me to control the humidity. I quit using the channels in the bottom of the bator. Humidity is controlled by the amount of surface area of water you have in the bator. I tried various sized plastic containers of water in the bator until I found the right size and quantity. Containers are much easier to fill than the channels under the eggs, under the turner. For my Hova 1588 I use two containers. One will keep it between 35%-45%. When I add the second one, it goes up to 55%-65%. I have found this to be a lot easier that the channels. It takes some expirementing, but once you get it right, it's great!

BTW - For my LG it takes four containers to get the high humidity.

ETA: That's pretty cool, we both know exactly the science behind humidity control, but have oppisite ways to control it. Best thing is, both methods will work effectively.

Last edited:
Humidity is controlled by the amount of surface from which the water can evaporate. The greater the surface the more humidity. You can control it or keep it constant by keeping the water channels full of water. Start out with the smaller channel and see if it brings the humidity to the desired %. It can be increased slightly by adding a wet sponge/s to the box. These dry out quickly so they have to be kept wet. You will always need to add water to the channel and it is very hard to tell when it is necessary without a Hygrometrer. They are available at WalMart for around 8-12 dollars.

Quote:
I am so glad that I saw this thread! I bought a Hova Bator and used it once very recently and my hatch rate was what I would call very poor! I kept the temps steady at 100 from day 1, I turned at least 5 times a day(I don't have a turner yet), I kept water in it as per instructions on bator box, I couldn't locate a hydrometer through my feed stores. This was my 1st hatch in more than 15 years.
When I say poor hatch I mean I have 4 chicks out of 28 eggs I started with.
My house is heated with propane gas which can dry a place out, and it stayed cold here on the mountain so I belive all of this to have played a role in this.
I just got my hygrometer in the mail yesturday
lol.png
and I will want to try again soon, I would really like some input on how I can improve my hatch rate please?

Quote:
Another one? I think were multiplying jimnjay!

I'm just across the Ga line from ya mdove.

Back on subject....
If you take a pint jar of water an drill 2 holes in the lid an put that in there. Take an air pump for a fish tank an run the air hose threw a control valve then in to the jar. Now by adjusting the air flow your can adjust humidity. Instant humidity control.

If you wont something more high tech read this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=18601-humidity-control

Quote:
Another one? I think were multiplying jimnjay!

I'm just across the Ga line from ya mdove.

Back on subject....
If you take a pint jar of water an drill 2 holes in the lid an put that in there. Take an air pump for a fish tank an run the air hose threw a control valve then in to the jar. Now by adjusting the air flow your can adjust humidity. Instant humidity control.

If you wont something more high tech read this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=18601-humidity-control

So your from Trenton? On top of the mountain?
You'll have to explain the high tech way you just described as I am not mech inclind
lol.png

In in the Davis community. About a mile from Bryant, as the crow flys. North end of Shelton Rd if ya got a map handy.

The High tech way, simply put is using a humidistat(thermostat for humidity) to run a fogger.

The jar idea works because air enters the incubator from the bottom of the water jar. As the bubble rises it warms an obsorbes water raising the humidity. If you turn the valve up you get more bubbles so you get more humidity.

Back
Top Bottom