How long to keep broody and chicks in a separate pen?

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
I have a broody with two 4day-old chicks. She's a first timer so I didn't want to give her too many eggs lol. They're in a 2x4 caged-off area in the main coop. I tried letting them out in the coop, but some of the other hens started chasing the babies and the mother hen puffed up but didn't stop them.

It is plenty of space for the chicks but not much space for the hen. How long should I keep them penned up?

It's recommended to mix the hen and chicks into the flock as early as possible so the chicks become integrated, but I usually like to keep my mother hens in a look but no touch set up next to the main flock for around two weeks before I let them free range together. This is to give the chicks a chance to get bigger and stronger and be able to fly a little to escape the bigger chickens.

I certainly would not leave small chicks in a small confined run for example with bigger chickens, unless there were plenty of hiding places.
For the first week, baby chicks don't do much exploring anyway.

My broody with 3 chicks were recently integrated w the flock. I waited until 6 weeks because this bantam hen is lowest in the pecking order. All the other hens are large breed as are the chicks. I turned them out into the flock of 4 hens and it was a non event. They had lived side by side for all these weeks and already knew each other. None of the hens are particularly aggressive, they are more likely to peck Mom than the chicks. The youngsters have quickly learned their place in the flock and how to behave in chicken society. The run is really big and full of bushy weeds and a small tree, lots of hiding areas. It probably could have been done earlier.
7 16 integration everyone.jpg

When my broody is free-range, I have no concerns about balance of flock causing issues with new chicks, unless another broody hen is involved. When flock is confined then I start to get more particular. Then broody and chicks kept so chicks can retreat easily back to mom, yet they are able to integrate into flock as older birds get to know them and loose interest in going after chicks. The two weeks can be a good time for full release of broody and chicks to be with balance of flock. Still make so they can have a safe place to retreat to, especially at roosting time. Generally, survival rates of small chicks has been lower for me when they and broody are confined with general flock. It is the confinement part that is most problematic.

My broody with 3 chicks were recently integrated w the flock. I waited until 6 weeks because this bantam hen is lowest in the pecking order. All the other hens are large breed as are the chicks. I turned them out into the flock of 4 hens and it was a non event. They had lived side by side for all these weeks and already knew each other. None of the hens are particularly aggressive, they are more likely to peck Mom than the chicks. The youngsters have quickly learned their place in the flock and how to behave in chicken society. The run is really big and full of bushy weeds and a small tree, lots of hiding areas. It probably could have been done earlier.View attachment 1862013
those babies are adorable!!

I left the cage unlatched and the hen and chicks pushed the door open on day 8. I went in to open the coop one morning and the chicks were calmly standing around the feeder with everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom