How to get rid of Yellowjackets?

Here's the most comprehensive and best place I know of to get tested and confirmed methods of Yellowjacket control. (and mouse and rat control)
Shawn Woods has a channel called Mousetrap Monday on YouTube. (Link under his name to best DYI method of getting rid of 1000's of wasps in one day)
I have used the method of removal shown in the link and can tell you I killed at least 2000 wasps in less than 1 day. If you have a nest you need to remove it. They will grow and grow and when the queens fly late in the autumn you will have dozens MORE nests next year.
Get your hens out of that coop. They can be stung to death as well.
Shawn tests every trap and method out there and does it on video so you can see how he did it, how it worked (or didn't work) and how to do it yourself.
Good luck!

At night, tie wire or duct tape the end of a vacuum hose next to the nest entrance. Use an extension cord and turn the vacuum on but dont plug it in until the following morning and sun is up. Let it run for an hour or so and the yellow jacket will be dead in the vac.
YES. A variation on this... Use a mich longer hose ( we duck-taped about 20ft long out of large diameter pvc pipe and black drainage field line ). Vac can sit way away so noise doesn't bother the nest or chickens. Vac hose taped or wired near nest opening where you see them coming in and out. Put the vac on an extension cord and set an appliance timer to come on at dusk and dawn. Let it go for days or even weeks. You'll catch any yellow jackets as they come and go in the shopvac. Even deep inside walls, long lasting nests. The colony inside will die off.

Took care of a multi year problem in our house wall, where they got in through an outdoor ground fault outlet cover. No harmful pesticides!

I used dairy cow spray. If safe for dairy herds it should be safe for chickens. I went to their hole after dark and sprayed where I thought the nest was. They started dying and falling through a crack. . We counted over 200 of the things that fell besides what was left around the nest. To say the least I was horrified at the amount.

I have a crappy pre-fab coop that is within a cow shed that I have put doors on and renovated. Theerts them with a couple of giid squiat wilorthin t& ks greatre’s a Yellowjacket nest on the pre-fab—as I discovered when I opened the egg door and got stung on my neck/face/arms.

I want to knock the nest down at night and then drag the pre-fab coop out in a few days when the little jerks wander off. It’s not a big nest, but it doesn’t take many to really **** up your day, lol.

How hard is this?? I do not relish the idea of getting stung more/again.
We use simply green. You can get it at Walmart. It it's so great kills them ..

Hit their nest with some starter fluid for cars and trucks. The distillates will rinse the wax off of the yellow jackets causing them to instantly die. The stuff will evaporate off and you can dispose of the nest.

Hit their nest with some starter fluid for cars and trucks. The distillates will rinse the wax off of the yellow jackets causing them to instantly die. The stuff will evaporate off and you can dispose of the nest.
Works great and is quick and to the “point” Brake cleaner works excellent also. Used it this week, on wasp in my coop.

I would call a beekeeper/relocated hives rather than using poison. Personally, I wait until dark and knock it down. The wait till winter works as well. They may sting but they are still pollinators. Dwindling in numbers…

I have a crappy pre-fab coop that is within a cow shed that I have put doors on and renovated. There’s a Yellowjacket nest on the pre-fab—as I discovered when I opened the egg door and got stung on my neck/face/arms.

I want to knock the nest down at night and then drag the pre-fab coop out in a few days when the little jerks wander off. It’s not a big nest, but it doesn’t take many to really **** up your day, lol.

How hard is this?? I do not relish the idea of getting stung more/again.
I do this to keep them away from my honeybees. You will need to cover to make sure the chickens can't get to it, but the wasps can.
I ordered "Taurus SC" with "fipronil" from diypestcontrol.com . It is a termite/ ant killer.
I mixed a few drops with a little cat food and fed it to the yellow jackets and hornets. They are supposed to take it back to the nest.
I observed none the next day.
I got the 78 Oz bottle and will use to spray my house exterior for ants. I plan to buy another to treat for termites.

Works great and is quick and to the “point” Brake cleaner works excellent also. Used it this week, on wasp in my coop.

Yellow jackets dont produce wax. Volatile chemicals and petroleum distillates clog the breathing tubes and the insect suffocates.

Back
Top Bottom