How to help grandkids get over fear of getting hen-pecked???

Part of me wants to say I'm sorry you went through all that ... but another part is totally in awe of you for being the strong, resilient and capable woman you are as a result of all that. :hugs
I've often thought it must've been a miracle that I didn't end up on drugs, pregnant, and homeless. Thank you :hugs

I just want to say to everyone that I truly appreciate all the responses, suggestions and encouragement. I'm having trouble keeping up with all the responses, and want to answer every one if I can. Give me some time; I'll get around to it.

And this..... GOOD NEWS!!!
I made an arm and hand shield from a soda bottle, and my grandson tried it out today with enthusiasm. The grumpy hen pecked him immediately, and you should have seen his face! :eek:"Grandma! It worked! I didn't even feel it!!!"
I showed him to put the basket down so he could use both hands to deal with the hen and move the eggs safely. When his sister came into the coop, he jumped with excitement to show her how the shield worked, and HE explained to her about moving the eggs.

It's her turn tomorrow. And I'll be right beside her. We're going to also try the whisk broom to deflect the hen's pecking, and see if she likes that better.
The path one takes makes them the person you see today.

From first impressions you came out on top.

Nicely done with the kiddo.

My thought:
Don't try to suppress their fear and feelings. If you keep trying to do it your way without carefully listening (and observing) what the problem is you can push your grandchildren away from loving you.
I try to listen to their feelings and ask questions to draw them out sometimes. I know that kids often don't have the vocabulary yet to express what they're feeling, so we need to give them those words and the space to express it. Their dad isn't very good at really hearing them, and they only see their mom (their best listener) on weekends. I often forget that; I need to be their sounding board. Thanks for the reminder.

Is there another task they rather would do for you? Like cleaning. Helping in the garden?
Their grandpa, my husband, assigned this chore and he's adamant, especially since they're complaining about it. And I agree with him. When they have no school and spend the entire day with us, we do other things - cleaning, vacuuming, folding laundry, etc. and we play board games, read books, watch quality TV programs, and cook something fun. But after school, it's eggs. Grandpa pays them for their chores.

Anyway, it were my (grand)children I would go together and take away this nasty hen from the nest. If it’s important they do this task without you being around, lock the pecking hen in another cage before your grandchildren arrive.
After a few weeks you could ‘forget’ to do so. Then carefully listen what they (do or don’t ) say. Maybe the problem gets more clear to them and you after a few weeks of harmony.
Thank you, but I respectfully disagree. Part of this lesson is to teach them to face their fears and overcome challenges. They are not little children that need to be protected from a pesky hen; they're almost pre-teens and wear the same size shoes I do. But I agree that I need to scale back and help with them more to work their way through this.

Back
Top Bottom