I dropped a chick...

FarmerVal

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
Lebanon, Tennessee
So here I am constantly monitoring my kids, telling them to be very careful when handling and holding the chicks because they are babies and very fragile... when last night I drop one while holding it in my hand! She jumped right out of my hand, I'd say about 4 feet off the ground, right on our tiled bathroom floor.

She fell on her side and I immediately scooped her up and noticed her panting and gasping for air. I figured maybe the wind got knocked out of her...? She was still gasping for air for a few minutes while I was holding her. She even closed her eyes and began kicking. It was such a sad sight! I wrapped her up in a (dry) washcloth and held her really close to my body. A few minutes later she started breathing normal and opening her eyes. I even heard an occasional peeping. But when I set her down she would only lay on her side. I kept her with me still wrapped up and close to me for warmth for over an hour before I decided it was time to put her back under the heat lamp. I put her in a seperate tiny box to keep the others from messing with her.

5 hours later I went to check on her and she still seems unable to bear much weight on her legs. I tried to let her out of the box to eat and drink, but she didn't seem very interested. She is still very tired looking. And I didn't want to leave her out of the box since the others were running all over her. I did notice in a few droppings in the box, so I know she's still pooping.

Could she still be in shock? Has anyone had this happen and the chick survive? I feel so awful!
sad.png

It is hard to say how it will fare, could have hurt it but time will tell, I allways hold them very snug that seems to be the way to go and don't squirm as much. I hope it get's better.

AL

she could just be in shock or she could be bruised/in pain. does anything look 'broken'? can she bare weight on her legs/has she stood up at all?

Thank you so much for your replies! When I checked on her early this morning she was sitting upright and not laying on her side anymore. I took her out of the box and set her near the water and she didn't act interested, just kind of sat there. The other chicks huddled around her and startled her so she tried running. Although she looked very unstable, she did make some distance before stoping and sitting.

I'm hoping it's just some sort of shock and bruises. This morning when my husband woke up I got the same talking to that I've been giving to the kids. I plan on keeping a close eye on her today. Hopefully soon I can get some food and water in her. I have a doctor's appointment this morning and once I return home I plan on trying to work with her on at least drinking something. Poor little thing, I feel awful.

She's up and running now!
wee.gif

Still a little clumsy here and there, and very sleepy. She's eating and drinking just fine too. I'm still keeping a close eye on her. I'm so thankful she's OK, I would have been heartbroken if anything happened... especially since it was my fault
sad.png

You know, something extremely traumatic and very similar happened to me with a little gosling of mine. She was in my arms, and then she spotted another gosling and leapt out of my arms because she was a rather rambunctious young gosling and liked to basically attack any goslings that she hadn't been raised with, and she hit our cement walkway out in the backyard. She acted like she was totally paralyzed, and gasped and looked awful, just so awful. Sounded like she'd lost her voice and was totally paralyzed. I held her and was reduced to pitiful tears, but then slowly she started to take sips of water and eat little bits of food and to my immense surprise and relief she was up and walking in a few hours and running soon after. No harm done. They are emotionally very sensitive, I think... Poor little things. I was terrified I'd crippled her for life.

Best wishes for your little chick. They are fighters.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes, that sounds very similar. Something similar happened to a kitten of mine once too. My brother stepped on her and she was only a week or so old. When we took her to the vet he said that her lung was bleeding and she was in shock. Nothing he could do. So we took her home with a 50/50 chance on surviving. She slept and slept. Then finally started eating and drinking. And eventually started playing around with the other kittens.

I really think the chick (and probably your gosling) went into shock and were a bit sore. Thankfully there were no broken bones or anything. As of this morning she's still doing great
big_smile.png

Super old thread, but similar issue. I have 9 button quail chicks that are a day old. I had a friend holding one and it was very calm so she opened up her hands a little and after a few moments he leaped out and fell through the wire of a cage below the brooder and onto the ground in the cage. There is a 1/2 layer of shavings. It was about a 3 and 1/2 foot drop. He landed on his back and couldn't seem to get back up, his neck was kind of twisted. I acted like everything was fine and I wasn't worried bc I didn't want to make her feel bad! He slept about 80% of the time we were in there looking at them after the drop. I'd tap him and he would scurry a few steps and then sleep again. Not peeping like in pain, his neck is still straight. He is just so tiny and fragile! I should have spoken up and had her keep her hands around him more. Will he be ok? Not gasping or breathing hard just sleepy.

She's up and running now!
wee.gif

Still a little clumsy here and there, and very sleepy. She's eating and drinking just fine too. I'm still keeping a close eye on her. I'm so thankful she's OK, I would have been heartbroken if anything happened... especially since it was my fault
sad.png
How long until she started walking around , I have a child who just dropped one of our 2 day old chicks and now it’s barely moving but slowing breathing and I’ve cried a lot already

Back
Top Bottom