Injectable ivermectin in water dosage

Jasonpro55

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
I have 3 chickens that are about 6 months old I got a month ago. Today I notice a small worm in poop. Maybe a cm long. In the chicken health handbook it says do 4ml of injectable ivermectin in gallon of water, and let that be only water source for 2 days. Anyone else do this method? I started a few hours ago, had the ivermectin on hand. I searched through forum first, but could not find a ton of info. Thanks for any guidance. Also do I need to do a follow up treatment in 2 week.

I would use a better product for worming my chickens, since ivermectin has lost some effectiveness in treating worms. It still can be useful with lice or mites. If I were using ivermectin, I would dose each chicken orally. The dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight.

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen are better choices for worming. Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml given orally to each chicken, then repeated in 10-14 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given once and again in 10-14 days for roundworms and cecal worms. For all worms including capillary and gapeworms, give it for 5 consecutive days. Levamisole (Prohibit) powder can be used in the water to treat for worms. It is available online, and Valbazen and SafeGuard may be found in feed stores.

I would use a better product for worming my chickens, since ivermectin has lost some effectiveness in treating worms. It still can be useful with lice or mites. If I were using ivermectin, I would dose each chicken orally. The dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight.

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen are better choices for worming. Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml given orally to each chicken, then repeated in 10-14 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given once and again in 10-14 days for roundworms and cecal worms. For all worms including capillary and gapeworms, give it for 5 consecutive days. Levamisole (Prohibit) powder can be used in the water to treat for worms. It is available online, and Valbazen and SafeGuard may be found in feed stores.
Ok, I have goats and knew ivermectin was not effective for them, didn't know the same was for chickens, we primarily use the ivermectin on dogs monthly. I already started the 4ml per gallon of water though so I will do this treatment and in future possibly switch. For my current situation should I follow up with the ivermectin in 2 weeks?

I have 3 chickens that are about 6 months old I got a month ago. Today I notice a small worm in poop. Maybe a cm long. In the chicken health handbook it says do 4ml of injectable ivermectin in gallon of water, and let that be only water source for 2 days. Anyone else do this method? I started a few hours ago, had the ivermectin on hand. I searched through forum first, but could not find a ton of info. Thanks for any guidance. Also do I need to do a follow up treatment in 2 week.

Hello! I’m wondering if the ivermectin worked for your situation? Or did you have to use something different?

The ivermectin worked. Killed worms. Saw them dead in the poop. I followed up after 2 weeks with 2 more days of treatment.

Yep, i provided the ivermectin/ water fresh daily. Dumping the old and providing new, fresh water/ivermectin.

Yep, i provided the ivermectin/ water fresh daily. Dumping the old and providing new, fresh water/ivermectin.
Amazing! Mine have worms for the first time and I have ivermectin on hand so I figured I’d give it a try despite all the mixed reviews. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom