Introducing myself

Soadnathan

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
Hi everyone! I'm Nathan and I just got some chicks today and wanted to finally join this community since I'm sure I will be seeking advice from yall in the very near future.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

New-ish but not totally ignorant. I took a class at the local ag center several years ago and have cared for a couple friend's flocks while they were out of town. I just acquired my own flock today.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

2 each of Rhode island reds, buff orpingtons, and black sexlinks.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Generally being more in touch with where my food comes from. The fact that farm eggs taste way better than store bought is an added bonus.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am a big gardener during the summer months. Over the years I've gravitated towards growing obscure varieties of tomatoes and hot peppers. I'm also trying to do more woodworking and fixing. I love the idea of recycling and reusing rather than throwing things away so I'm interested in learning more about soldering and welding too.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

One of the things I'd love advice on is how to get our dog acclimated to our new family members. There is a lot of conflicting info on the internet and id feel better directly interacting with real people with real experience.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've known about the community for a couple years now but finally pulled the trigger on starting my own flock so it felt appropriate to formally introduce myself, especially if I'm going to be asking a bunch of questions.

Back
Top Bottom