Introduction

PnppleUpsdDwnChk

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
West Virginia
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am very new to chickens. I only help take care of them but i am the primary caregiver of the physical chickens, my parents just look at them and buy the stuff for them (they are irresponsible but I try my best and live at home and am planning to stay living at home so i just take care of them as i have grown a passion/love for them. I just got any poultry almost a year ago, 4 guinea fowl 1 passed and all 3 ran away eventually. During that my uncle gave us a male and female oeg bantams and the rooster passed but the girl is strong and happy. We got lucky and someone was selling their flock of 6 bantams.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Currently we have 7 but the single oegb fem is alone as the other 6 were already a flock before and we rehomed them from a subpar farm so they are stressed rn so we are waiting to introduce her to the flock. ( 1 rooster 5 hens)
(3) What breeds do you have?
Im not 100% positive actually I dont really deal with everything as i wish i could (im 20) but with research im almost positive the single hen is a oeg bantam, the rooster in the flock of 6 MAY be a oegb as well but hes much bigger than my first original oegb rooster. I think the 5 hens are Cream legbars but they have no fluff. Exact colorings though
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Watching them. They genuinely put a smile on my face and make me laugh and I want to see them happy and exploring the yard
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I am researching gardening homesteading and just overall being mostly sustainable on your own. I have yet to make these a reality as i am very young and in college
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My father is very impulsive and irresponsible but not abusive. He just gets lazy and doesnt clean their coops/feed them but he wants and cares about them. My mother does like them but wants nothing to do with them so its mainly me and my partner who watch/ care for them. We are both in community college and do doordash / online work at home jobs etc so we have a lot of free time as my parents support the both of us and dont mind paying for the good stuff so i always get the chickens the best stuff lol Im not trying to bash them and idk if talking about stuff like this is allowed but they really just buy everything! They do really care about them though and ask me how they are and to give them scraps and check them. They are just busy people i know thats not an excuse though im just rambling now loll
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I found it from asking google questions to do research on these babies so i can give them the best life. I joined because I want to be able to ask questions as needed! :3

🙋‍♀️Welcome to BYC!

You have come to the right place! There are tons of people on here ready to help with whatever they can! Just ask!We all share the crazy addition to chickens and other animals!

And if you haven't checked already,
The Learning Center
has some great articles
to help you along the way!

Cant wait to see you around 🩵

Back
Top Bottom