Is Diazinon safe for the chickens' coop?

NatureHouse17

Chirping
Aug 2, 2018
Romania
Hello! I have been trying to get rid of the mites inside my chickens' coop for 1 year. I tried different solutions but nothing worked on a long term and I don't know what else I can do to solve this nasty issue.
One vet suggested me to use diazinon and cypermethrin to spray inside the coop and repeat the treatment 10 days after. But I know diazinon is highly toxic for birds.

I will keep them away from the coop and its area for ~ 12h, so they won't get in contact with the solution.
There are both chickens and ducks.
Do you think that is a safe idea? Should I try using diazinon? Thank you!

Should I try using diazinon?
Really anything you try should be repeated in 10 days or it is unlikely to work long term... as it need to get the next generation and completely disrupt the life cycle.

Sorry to ask... but since your first statement doesn't go into too much detail have you already tried a permethrin based product... AND followed through with a second treatment? Did you treat the premises and the birds? If not... I would definitely start there. Permethrin has been VERY effective at my location... and is also safe for use ON poultry, dogs, horses, pigs, etc. (not cats) Found in the equine section at most feed stores, under many brand names and concentrations from ready to use or mix your own.

Adding your general location to your profile might help folks make their best suggestion at a glance. ;)

Did you read the directions or can you look them up for diazinon and see what it says about animal safety and their recommendation? I am under the impression it's actually illegal here in California, but haven't verified. I personally would NOT jump to using it.. but definitely pursue this conversation with other who have dealt with it, as you are already attempting. :thumbsup

Please note that in some locations... due to heavy wildlife load (including bird feeders, rats, or even certain hay in some locations) or other conditions (including bringing in fowl from other places and migratory animals) the mites may be something that needs treating throughout the year if they continue to be reintroduced. How many animals are you treating and how big is your coop? What type of bedding are you using? Have you identified the type of mite you're dealing with? And can you please share what you have already done to try and deal with this so we can know if you've already been there and done that or not... as I think there are safe effective alternatives.. but sometimes there is a special circumstance where all normal options simply aren't working.. like my one adopted pup who just could not shake the mites (even Ivermectin didn't help)... last resort was a sulfur baths... (essentially), all under veterinary supervision... sulfur is actually very effective against mites, but have not had to resort to that for my chickens. Please do your own research if you do go that route as I have no information on it. I thought this was an interesting post..
https://blog.cacklehatchery.com/dust-bathing-chickens-get-dirty-to-get-clean/

Many have faced this, so you're not alone. Hope more folks join in with ideas or info that might be helpful and that get rid of them buggers for good, soon! :fl

Alright, thank you for your replies!
First of all, I always made the second treatment 10 days after no matter which solution I use. Until now, I tried:
- phoxim
- tetramethrin
- dergall
- cypermethrine
All of those were sprayed inside the coop and repeated after 10 days. But they were not efficient on a long term.
The coop's dimensions are ~ 2 m length, 2m width and 1.90 height. I have 5 chickens and 2 ducks in there, all free range on a generous area 5000 m^2 (they stay in the coop just for the night). As bedding I use hay but not too much (just when it's cold I put a thick layer of hay).

I'm pretty sure the coop is infested with dermanyssus gallinae. Each time I spray the coop, I also use a powder/spray with trichlorfon (from what I know that's a safe product for laying chickens) for disinfesting the birds (even though, usually, there are few/no mites on them). Also, they have dust/ashes baths provided all the time.
I haven't tried with sulfur yet, I will get some for their bath.

I don't think that my location would help much, as I am from Romania. In here medications like diazinon are still used and they are not illegal.

Old time method is 1 lb of elemental sulfur to 10 lbs of dust bath... some mites are building immunity to pesticides, so far not sulfur
https://entomologytoday.org/2016/07/18/battling-chicken-mites-with-bags-of-brimstone/

Thanks for that link, that was a good read. I'll definitely see about getting some sulfur if I have issues with eradicating my mites (so far so good with the permethrin, but I do worry about the bugs becoming more resistant to conventional pesticides).

I don't think that my location would help much, as I am from Romania.
Actually, it helps a lot...it explains why you are using the chemicals that you are using, and keeps us from suggesting things you might not able to get where you are.

Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1583620488703.png

Actually, it helps a lot...it explains why you are using the chemicals that you are using, and keeps us from suggesting things you might not able to get where you are.

Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2045109

Done, I added it. Yeah, in here we have more access to all sorts of chemicals like diazinon because there aren't as many restrictions as in other countries from this point of view.

Well, after doing some research about this chemical, I decided to give it a try.
The main use of diazinon is to treat ectoparasites infestations in swine, bovine, caprine and ovine, either by making a local treatment, either by bathing them.
Using it for spraying on birds is strictly forbidden because it's toxic for them and will probably cause severe symptoms and death. So, it should never ever be used for disinfesting the chickens!

But you can use it for disinfesting the coop by spraying it inside (at least in here is successfully used from what I've heard).
So, that's what I did:
1. I moved the chickens and the ducks somewhere else, far from their coop.
2. I cleaned it properly and then sprayed it with diazionon 60% + cypermethrin10% solution.
3. After that, I waited until the coop was dry and well-ventilated.
4. After 24h I put the birds back into their place.
5. I will repeat the treatment after 10 days.

Now I am hoping everything will be alright and I will finally get rid of those mites.
The birds are all fine; as long as you don't spray the solution on/around them, there's nothing to worry about.

I will see what happens after the second round and keep you up to date. Hopefully, there will be some good results.

Yeah, in here we have more access to all sorts of chemicals like diazinon because there aren't as many restrictions as in other countries from this point of view.
Many of us here try to avoid using any unnecessary chemicals in the eggs and meat we eat, and to protect the environment and it's inhabitants, domestic and 'wild'.

Many of us here try to avoid using any unnecessary chemicals in the eggs and meat we eat, and to protect the environment and it's inhabitants, domestic and 'wild'.
I totally agree with what you say. That's why I bought chickens, because I wanted to have ecological eggs. That's why I bought land and I try to do my best to provide a healthy place for my animals, while respecting the 'wild' area.
But sometimes, if you want to solve nasty problems like this one with the mites, you have to use chemicals. I don't like the idea either, but I'm sure that cohabitating with those parasites is very unpleasant for the birds.

Back
Top Bottom