Lavender Orpington 4 weeks old

kurby22

Crossing the Road
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
I know it’s too early, but wanted to have documentation for the future and others looking for gender help and/or clues!

It isn’t cooperating with any of the usual things. It’s comb seems big for 4 weeks but hasn’t gotten pink it’s stayed mainly yellow unless flushed from running and flapping. It seems big for its age with bigger legs, but I have no comparison. It’s feathering out in a more typically female fashion (I know this means nothing most of the time). It acts more female, sort of flighty but compliant and all the tiny bantams sleep under it at night.

And side note: the barring seems common in lavenders, especially this one. How does the barring happen in lavenders?

Attachments

• 5EE80B5D-C729-43E2-8FA6-5D5E162D409C.jpeg
    5EE80B5D-C729-43E2-8FA6-5D5E162D409C.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 5E4549DE-156A-49F0-94EF-E386A5FC0E14.jpeg
    5E4549DE-156A-49F0-94EF-E386A5FC0E14.jpeg
    493 KB · Views: 17
Too early, but with that comb I think it could be a cockerel.

I'm not sure what to make of the barring. Check the coloring of the undersides of the feet to make sure it actually is an Orpington. If that area is white or pinkish white, then you are safe. If that area has yellowish pigment, then you could have a sapphire gem instead of an Orpington.

Too early, but with that comb I think it could be a cockerel.

I'm not sure what to make of the barring. Check the coloring of the undersides of the feet to make sure it actually is an Orpington. If that area is white or pinkish white, then you are safe. If that area has yellowish pigment, then you could have a sapphire gem instead of an Orpington.
Yeah, I fully expect the red to start in the next week or two and make me sad haha. This is my THIRD try at a SR Lav Orpington…might need to be my last 😩

The coloring on this bird has been a bit odd from the start, I’m not used to combs on Lav Orps being yellow—the feet are pink and the legs are slate. It’s very strange! Lots of DQs on this one haha. I do kind of like the barring though! It’s sort of neat.

Yeah, I fully expect the red to start in the next week or two and make me sad haha. This is my THIRD try at a SR Lav Orpington…might need to be my last 😩

The coloring on this bird has been a bit odd from the start, I’m not used to combs on Lav Orps being yellow—the feet are pink and the legs are slate. It’s very strange! Lots of DQs on this one haha. I do kind of like the barring though! It’s sort of neat.
Sounds like an Orp, then. Lavender can be cloudy early on. I would give it some more time as far as sex goes.

Back
Top Bottom