Me again - Day 22 approaching - no obvious internal pip but chick is alive

TempletonPeck

Chirping
May 16, 2022
Hello (again) :frow
Chicken egg - hopefully a beautiful blue Orpington.
Day 22 starts at 4.30 UK time. I am new to incubating but my concerns also spring from this being the only surviving egg of a batch of shipped eggs that I started incubating without letting the sacs settle.
Could you please look at my latest photos? The red pen is where shadows were 4 days ago. Air sac is increasing but there is no sign of internal pipping (I don’t think) and no cheeping. I put in a safety hole yesterday so I’m also worried about shrink wrapping now, on top of the chick being malpositioned. In my optimistic moments, I think the triangular shadow looks like a beak - but if it is, there’s no cheeping. Because, I tell myself, all the life is being squeezed out of her as she gets shrink-wrapped.
Is it time to open up the shell over the air sac to try and locate the beak? I have coconut oil, tweezers, paper towels, all as per the “Assisted Hatch” article.
Thank you for putting up with me. I have no hygrometer but I have increased humidity (steam from a little pot, thanks to the advice of another member!) and I have 3 buff Orpington eggs thriving in there.

Attachments

• 73DFCBE1-B43E-4E77-9385-68D6BAD96181.jpeg
    73DFCBE1-B43E-4E77-9385-68D6BAD96181.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 27
  • A28BFB00-BC88-4F84-B3BF-F362A16D3E13.jpeg
    A28BFB00-BC88-4F84-B3BF-F362A16D3E13.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 18
  • 0FEAA765-F54A-46BA-8D54-980C9E81BDCB.jpeg
    0FEAA765-F54A-46BA-8D54-980C9E81BDCB.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 18
Hello (again) :frow
Chicken egg - hopefully a beautiful blue Orpington.
Day 22 starts at 4.30 UK time. I am new to incubating but my concerns also spring from this being the only surviving egg of a batch of shipped eggs that I started incubating without letting the sacs settle.
Could you please look at my latest photos? The red pen is where shadows were 4 days ago. Air sac is increasing but there is no sign of internal pipping (I don’t think) and no cheeping. I put in a safety hole yesterday so I’m also worried about shrink wrapping now, on top of the chick being malpositioned. In my optimistic moments, I think the triangular shadow looks like a beak - but if it is, there’s no cheeping. Because, I tell myself, all the life is being squeezed out of her as she gets shrink-wrapped.
Is it time to open up the shell over the air sac to try and locate the beak? I have coconut oil, tweezers, paper towels, all as per the “Assisted Hatch” article.
Thank you for putting up with me. I have no hygrometer but I have increased humidity (steam from a little pot, thanks to the advice of another member!) and I have 3 buff Orpington eggs thriving in there.
I just had my first of 8 pip at day 23. I had given up on them.

Here she is! She’s all floppy and exhausted and chirpy now. Totally assisted hatch after no progress and a very thick membrane. I’m also going to post the image on a new thread, but looking at this photo, was she malpositioned all along?

Attachments

• 34993268-0141-4AF5-9501-EA6112076958.jpeg
    34993268-0141-4AF5-9501-EA6112076958.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 19
Here she is! She’s all floppy and exhausted and chirpy now. Totally assisted hatch after no progress and a very thick membrane. I’m also going to post the image on a new thread, but looking at this photo, was she malpositioned all along?
is the yolk absorbed? Any chewing or yawning?

No yolk visible, but occasional chewing motions. She’s certainly got some energy from somewhere, so I think it’s absorbed. It’s been a 4 hour process and in that time I literally saw the membrane veins pale and disappear - it was incredible.
Her head is out and her bottom half is still in the shell (see photo). She’s lovely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 19
No yolk visible, but occasional chewing motions. She’s certainly got some energy from somewhere, so I think it’s absorbed. It’s been a 4 hour process and in that time I literally saw the membrane veins pale and disappear - it was incredible.
Her head is out and her bottom half is still in the shell (see photo). She’s lovely.
Yay!!

Back
Top Bottom