Medicated or non-medicated chick starter?

Tallulahbelle

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
Hi. I am brand new to raising chicks. I am getting my chicks in a few days and I need some advice on whether to go with medicated or non-medicated starter feed. I've read differing opinions and I'm more confused now than before researching. I live on a rural, wooded property (new to us) that has a lot of wildlife. I don't know if there were chickens here previously, but there are many birds and critters. It is my understanding the coccidia is spread through feces of animals and that chickens will indeed eat the feces of other animals. My initial gut feeling is to feed medicated for that reason. But my second question is, if the chicks are fed medicated food, will our future eggs be organic? Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

I do not believe the eggs will be considered organic if the chicks are fed medicated feed, but I'd need to do more research on that. Here's a summary of medicated vs. nonmedicated feed. Medicated feed is basically just feed that contains the coccidiostat Amprolium. Coccidiostats are not medications that will necessarily kill the coccidia protozoa, but they will weaken them and help prevent deadly infections. It is recommended to feed chicks that have not been vaccinated medicated feed as yes, they are prone to contracting it from the soil, and their immune systems are often not strong enough to fight off the infection. Now, if you have had your chicks vaccinated, you should NOT feed the chicks medicated feed. This is because the vaccine is a modified-live vaccine. Basically, chicks that are vaccinated are exposed to live but weakened coccidia. This builds the chicks' immune systems up by allowing them to fight the protozoa without becoming overwhelmed, as well as allowing the white blood cells to recognize and thus have a faster response time should coccidia enter the bird again. When you feed amprolium to a chick that has been vaccinated, you are going to end up killing off the weakened coccidia, which makes the vaccine useless. So, while it won't necessarily hurt the bird, it is a waste of money. If you're worried about coccidia but want to be sure to be organic, there are organic chick feeds that the producers claim help prevent deadly coccidiosis outbreaks. I personally have never tried them so I cannot attest to that. I hope this helps!

Hi. I am brand new to raising chicks. I am getting my chicks in a few days and I need some advice on whether to go with medicated or non-medicated starter feed. I've read differing opinions and I'm more confused now than before researching. I live on a rural, wooded property (new to us) that has a lot of wildlife. I don't know if there were chickens here previously, but there are many birds and critters. It is my understanding the coccidia is spread through feces of animals and that chickens will indeed eat the feces of other animals. My initial gut feeling is to feed medicated for that reason. But my second question is, if the chicks are fed medicated food, will our future eggs be organic? Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi Welcome To BYC! :welcome:wee

For a beginner its best to start the chicks on medicated. Definitely if you're worried that other chickens may have lived there before (unless they're already Vaccinated). Young chickens are extremely susceptible to Coccidiosis and a few other diseases because their immune system is not strong enough at such a young age, not to say that its possible to raise hens without medicated food, I've just never actually tried it. Medicated feeds usually contain 'sodium salinomycin' or 'lasalocid sodium' to help treat and prevent coccidiosis. Personally, I wouldn't feed my chicks non-medicated feed, but really its totally up to you. Here's a helpful video that explains everything:
And Yes, you're eggs will still be organic :yesss: As long as you feed them laying hen food instead of the previous food 2 weeks before they lay (usually at around 18-24 weeks) Note; at 6-8 weeks they should be on Pullet feed, NOT chick starter.

For a beginner its best to start the chicks on medicated. Definitely if you're worried that other chickens may have lived there before (unless they're already Vaccinated). Young chickens are extremely susceptible to Coccidiosis and a few other diseases because their immune system is not strong enough at such a young age, not to say that its possible to raise hens without medicated food, I've just never actually tried it. Medicated feeds usually contain 'sodium salinomycin' or 'lasalocid sodium' to help treat and prevent coccidiosis. Personally, I wouldn't feed my chicks non-medicated feed, but really its totally up to you. Here's a helpful video that explains everything:
And Yes, you're eggs will still be organic :yesss: As long as you feed them laying hen food instead of the previous food 2 weeks before they lay (usually at around 18-24 weeks) Note; at 6-8 weeks they should be on Pullet feed, NOT chick starter.
Good info! If I may ask, what feeds do you use that contain sodium salinomycin or lasalocid sodium?

6-8 weeks seems awfully early to start on pullet layer feed. I usually don't start with layer until everyone is laying eggs. I will move from starter to grower and then all flock until they are laying. Of course, this depends on the breed. I have some very late starters.

Good info! If I may ask, what feeds do you use that contain sodium salinomycin or lasalocid sodium?
The Chick starter and pullet grower contain that to control coccidiosis, Its Riverina. "This feed contains Bovatec® which supplies lasalocid sodium at 90 mg/kg as an aid in the prevention of coccidiosis caused by certain Eimeria species." - quote off Rivernia.com.au

6-8 weeks seems awfully early to start on pullet layer feed. I usually don't start with layer until everyone is laying eggs. I will move from starter to grower and then all flock until they are laying. Of course, this depends on the breed. I have some very late starters.
XD no i meant Pullet Grower, not layer XD Silly me if i said that :lol:

The Chick starter and pullet grower contain that to control coccidiosis, Its Riverina. "This feed contains Bovatec® which supplies lasalocid sodium at 90 mg/kg as an aid in the prevention of coccidiosis caused by certain Eimeria species." - quote off Rivernia.com.au
I'm sorry, I didn't even take into consideration other countries! Amprolium is the only coccidiastat used in poultry in the US that I'm aware of.

Back
Top Bottom