Mini Donkey Shelter

Clairemarie1982

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2019
Tennessee
Hey. We are located in middle Tennessee in a very rural area. We are planning on getting a pair of mini donkeys soon. We are currently installing 48” high fencing around where the donkeys will be. We are now planning out their shelter. Some folks around here just do a 3 sided structure but we are very concerned about predators. We will be getting a LGD in the future but currently do not have one. We would definitely like to put some type of door on the front of their structure and put them up at night. However I read that it should be a short door so the donkeys can look out. Would predators such as coyotes not go over the door right into their shelter? I know coyotes hate donkeys but I have also read and been told by breeders that mini donkeys should not be kept as guardians and cannot properly defend themselves. I would really love some feedback on their housing. We just like to be careful on our farm and take extra precaution to not loose any animals to predators. Thanks in advance! Claire

Hey. We are located in middle Tennessee in a very rural area. We are planning on getting a pair of mini donkeys soon. We are currently installing 48” high fencing around where the donkeys will be. We are now planning out their shelter. Some folks around here just do a 3 sided structure but we are very concerned about predators. We will be getting a LGD in the future but currently do not have one. We would definitely like to put some type of door on the front of their structure and put them up at night. However I read that it should be a short door so the donkeys can look out. Would predators such as coyotes not go over the door right into their shelter? I know coyotes hate donkeys but I have also read and been told by breeders that mini donkeys should not be kept as guardians and cannot properly defend themselves. I would really love some feedback on their housing. We just like to be careful on our farm and take extra precaution to not loose any animals to predators. Thanks in advance! Claire
It sounds like your planned shelter would work well! Especially if you’re planning to get a dog too

seconding that donkeys and coyotes HATE each other, which adds an extra layer of protection. those little guys can be VICIOUS. From my understanding, they hate all canines though, so be careful with the dog near them in the future!

I would agree that a coyote could easily jump any door a mini donkey could look over. I'm curious, why do they need to be able to look out?
They enjoy it. Plus it helps with making sure they get fresh air. Plus if they get too warm, they can usually stick their heads outside (like when you stick your feet out fron under the covers)

They enjoy it. Plus it helps with making sure they get fresh air. Plus if they get too warm, they can usually stick their heads outside (like when you stick your feet out fron under the covers)
Makes sense, but if those are the reasons I would pick safety over comfort.

Maybe an opening with bars/wire. They could still look out but not stick their heads out. It would allow better airflow and keep things from getting too hot. But would keep coyotes and dogs out.

Another option would be electric fencing. Or taller fencing with a coyote roll bar. Then you can do a three-sided shelter. Depends on your level or predator threat.

Back
Top Bottom