Mutts

the Pollo Loco

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Santa Cruz,CA
Like in every specie, mutts are looked upon as inferior, or not desirable. but I know many of you have some that are great layers, or at least consistent. show-em off!!! I'm sure you're proud of them.
big_smile.png

I disagree with your statement that mutts of every species are considered inferior. Many people prefer mixed breed dogs or cats as pets, or chickens for whatever purpose one keeps them, or cattle for hybrid vigor or...

Mutts are not showable, and from that standpoint, they do not have the necessary attributes to make the grade, but neither do many purebreds. I have a number of chicken mutts who are great egglayers and pest control, and they are far better broodies and mamas than most of the show birds (even silkies).

I like my mutts! Chickens, goats, dogs, cats, and horses. They may not be fancy, but they're lovable. (Shh don't tell, but I like my crossbred goats better than the papered show goats!) Here's my mutt chickens. They're bantam EEs of some variety.

silverhen.jpg

chickens.jpg

I only have one mutt ... and he doesn't lay well.
gig.gif

BUT, he is big and beautiful. I love him! My Cuckoo Marans roo (Rupert) is a gentleman in every aspect of the word ... and he taught my mutt to be the same!
Here's my mutt, Obama .... so named because he was president of the Silkies. He got thrown in when I bought them. The seller said he was 1/2 silkie ???

31282_oct_16_2009_chicks_silkie_coop_buff_silkies_etc_022.jpg

31282_oct_16_2009_chicks_silkie_coop_buff_silkies_etc_014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom