My Chicken Coop - Feedback Appreciated

AnneHealy

Chirping
Jul 19, 2022
Yuma County
We are building a coop out of pallets and other materials. The reason for pallets is because they are already on our property and therefore pretty cheap. The pictures show our progress so far. I thought I would share so that you guys can tell me what we're doing wrong.

So far on this forum I have learned that the chicken coop should be bullet proof. The plan is to buy plywood and fasten the plywood to the outside of the coop on the bottom pallets all the way around the coop. We're going to make a door for the front that is also solid to shut them in at night.

The inside of the coop is lined with garden netting to keep the chickens from going inside the pallets and getting stuck. We're going to build a platform about 12 to 18 inches off the floor on each side of the coop and put two plastic milk crates on top for the nesting boxes. We're also going to use plywood in various places for roosting.

We're planning on building a run around the coop with additional pallet fences and putting chicken wire around the pallets and over the run and attach to the coop. Going to put an additional doorway in the run to get in and out of the coop.

I think there is sufficient ventilation given that areas above the pallets is only covered with netting. I think in the winter we'll probably have to hang a heat lamp.

Is this going to be enough to keep critters out? Keep in mind that our property has a fence around it. And if a coyote does get in, he'd have to get through the outer run first. I don't think coyotes can climb over pallet fences, can they? Several people in our area have chicken coops designed similarly where the bottom half is wood and the top half is chicken wire, and they haven't had a problem with coyotes. We don't have any other predators in the area.

Feel free to be critical, and thank you!

Attachments

• Coop 1.jpg
    Coop 1.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Coop 2.jpg
    Coop 2.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Coop 3.jpg
    Coop 3.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 45
I think there is sufficient ventilation given that areas above the pallets is only covered with netting. I think in the winter we'll probably have to hang a heat lamp.
Netting is not predator proof. Use very securely attached 1/2" hardware cloth instead.
Is this going to be enough to keep critters out?
No.
I don't think coyotes can climb over pallet fences, can they?
Yes.

When people top a wood fence with chicken wire, the chicken wire is left a little saggy. That way when something tries to grab hold of it and climb over, it flops down.
The risk is that the weight of a larger animal can rip the chicken wire down.

What are you using to preserve the pallet wood and keep it from rotting?

Netting is not predator proof. Use very securely attached 1/2" hardware cloth instead.

When people top a wood fence with chicken wire, the chicken wire is left a little saggy. That way when something tries to grab hold of it and climb over, it flops down.
The risk is that the weight of a larger animal can rip the chicken wire down.

What are you using to preserve the pallet wood and keep it from rotting?
Okay, got it. We've got a trip to Home Depot planned for tomorrow morning. Will get hardware cloth to attach to the outside of the coop at the top. And yes, good idea to spray the pallet wood with something that preserves it. I guess I will only apply a preservative to the outside.

If you have any source of water nearby, you have raccoons, even in the desert. They are the worst because they are strong, clever at opening things, and can climb.

You probably also have coatis. They are omnivores and would probably leave a full grown chicken alone, but chicks, bantams, and eggs would be on the menu. They are impressive climbers.

I would cover that entire coop in hardware cloth, even over the pallets. The openings in the pallets are quite large.

I think in the winter we'll probably have to hang a heat lamp.

There are VERY few climates where adding heat in the winter is necessary. :)

Chickens that are dry and out of the wind readily tolerate temperatures down to and, when well-acclimated, below 0F.

This.

1/2" hardware cloth is better.

If you have any source of water nearby, you have raccoons, even in the desert. They are the worst because they are strong, clever at opening things, and can climb.

You probably also have coatis. They are omnivores and would probably leave a full grown chicken alone, but chicks, bantams, and eggs would be on the menu. They are impressive climbers.

I would cover that entire coop in hardware cloth, even over the pallets. The openings in the pallets are quite large.
I have covered the pallets with plywood and placed hardware cloth over what would have been windows that were only covered with plastic netting. I'll be posting updated pictures soon.

We are building a coop out of pallets and other materials. The reason for pallets is because they are already on our property and therefore pretty cheap. The pictures show our progress so far.

Looks like a very nice work in progress. I have a thread Show Me Your Pallet Projects! and I put up a link to your thread along with your pictures. I hope you might get some more traffic on your thread and maybe some helpful advice.

My initial thoughts are that since you are building the coop from free pallets and pallet wood, you might want to keep your costs to a minimum. We all have different predator concerns, but adding hardware cloth around your entire coop would be very costly.

If you have enough pallet wood, I don't know why you have to buy expensive plywood for the outside of the coop. Wood is wood. If you check out my thread Show Me Your Pallet Projects!, you can see some other pallet coop builds. That might give you some ideas.

As for the chicken run, I use 2X4 galvanized fencing and that works just fine for me. As long as your pallet wood is close enough to prevent your chickens from getting out, it might be good enough for the run without additional expenses of wire fencing. I consider my chicken run to be "predator resistant". If you want a "predator proof" chicken run, then it will cost you lots of money.

Most of my predator concerns are from nighttime varmints, so my coop is built to keep them out. I don't have the money to make my chicken run totally predator proof. But my chickens are outside only during the day. Durning the daytime, I really only worry about a stray dog coming on to the property. My fencing has been enough to prevent any dog attacks.

In short, I think your pallet coop is really coming along fine, and I don't think you need put expensive hardware cloth all around everything unless you have specific predator concerns for your area.

:old It would cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars to predator proof (using hardware cloth) my chicken run and coop from a potential attack. I can replace my entire backyard flock of 10 chickens for $30. In 3 years, I have yet to suffer a predator attack, so I consider myself money ahead by not going full defensive on my build.

:idunno IF I ever suffer a predator attack, I'll reassess if things need to change. But, our local big box stores sell eggs for about $1.00 per dozen, and I can't compete with that price on my small scale backyard flock. Additional expenses to protect my chickens would only make my eggs even more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom