My Polish Act Sick, Then Recover in a Day!

Rhodebar Lover

Brahma Fanatic
9 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Arrington, Tennessee USA
My five 20 week old Polish have always acted healthy. Then about two weeks ago, I found one of my cockerels sitting on the roost with his head limply hanging down in the morning when I let them out to free range. I picked him up and discovered that he was almost completely limp and had no control of his neck. He had no nasal discharge, crust on his eyes, raspy breathing or abnormal feces. The only thing he could do was hold on to the roost, so I knew he wasn't paralyzed. The strange part was, he acted completely normal the day before. I figured I would have someone help me put him down the next day because I could never do it myself. He was still okay a few hours later when I locked them in earlier than normal. I was dreading letting them out the next morning because I was almost positive he would already be gone. To my surprise, he was walking around the next day completely normal, except he seemed a little stiff. The day after that you would have never guessed anything had ever happened to him! Obviously I was thrilled that he recovered and the closest thing I could find that could have been wrong with him was heat stroke because it was hotter than normal out. I made sure to give them lots of frozen vegetables when it was hot out and everything was completely normal.

Two days ago one of my Polish pullets had the same symptoms of the cockerel and was also found on the roost. The next day she completely recovered and acted healthy, but one of the other Polish pullets had the exact same symptoms of her except she could stand, but couldn't move half of her neck closest to her head! Today she completely recovered but my original cockerel was showing same symptoms that he was two weeks ago.

Could it be neurological? I also find it strange that out of my 31 chickens only the Polish have this problem. Maybe they are getting into something bad for them and once the poison leaves their system they feel better again. The only thing that they could be getting into would be Pokeberries, so I removed all the fruit that they could have been eating. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

I know that Polish can sometimes be pecked due to their wild hair.

I wonder if it could be a head injury that... went away? :/

Perhaps they are getting into something toxic and it just processes out after a day or so?

I hope you can find out the cause!

MrsB

My five 20 week old Polish have always acted healthy. Then about two weeks ago, I found one of my cockerels sitting on the roost with his head limply hanging down in the morning when I let them out to free range. I picked him up and discovered that he was almost completely limp and had no control of his neck. He had no nasal discharge, crust on his eyes, raspy breathing or abnormal feces. The only thing he could do was hold on to the roost, so I knew he wasn't paralyzed. The strange part was, he acted completely normal the day before. I figured I would have someone help me put him down the next day because I could never do it myself. He was still okay a few hours later when I locked them in earlier than normal. I was dreading letting them out the next morning because I was almost positive he would already be gone. To my surprise, he was walking around the next day completely normal, except he seemed a little stiff. The day after that you would have never guessed anything had ever happened to him! Obviously I was thrilled that he recovered and the closest thing I could find that could have been wrong with him was heat stroke because it was hotter than normal out. I made sure to give them lots of frozen vegetables when it was hot out and everything was completely normal.

Two days ago one of my Polish pullets had the same symptoms of the cockerel and was also found on the roost. The next day she completely recovered and acted healthy, but one of the other Polish pullets had the exact same symptoms of her except she could stand, but couldn't move half of her neck closest to her head! Today she completely recovered but my original cockerel was showing same symptoms that he was two weeks ago.

Could it be neurological? I also find it strange that out of my 31 chickens only the Polish have this problem. Maybe they are getting into something bad for them and once the poison leaves their system they feel better again. The only thing that they could be getting into would be Pokeberries, so I removed all the fruit that they could have been eating. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Rhodebar Lover,

You might want to take a look at this thread. I am not saying that the symptoms are an exact match, but there are some interesting points to reflect on. Firstly, the process described was a success. Secondly it discusses a toxin flushing regime and a hydration regime that could be important for your Polish.

Let us know how you get on...

The exact same thing has been happening with my polish for the past week and I have no idea what it is! One minute she's fine and the next it's like she has no control over her body. Where did you get your polish from?

The exact same thing has been happening with my polish for the past week and I have no idea what it is! One minute she's fine and the next it's like she has no control over her body. Where did you get your polish from?
Wow that looks just like my Polish when they act like that!!! I'm thinking they are getting poisoned by a plant which only the Polish have a taste for. When the toxins leave there systems in a day or two they recover. I'm wondering if the plant might be a Pokeweed. Do you have them by you? I also thought that maybe Polish are just more sensitive to something in their environment that doesn't affect most breeds. I bought them from Horstmans Poultry. Where did you get yours?

Not sure if we have Pokeweed. We are in Lancaster Pa and the chickens free range in our yard and the woods behind the house. We got our Polish from Lancaster Fancy Fowl. I'm not sure where he got his from though. Did you polish show any other symptoms of Infectious Bronchitis prior to this? Like runny nose, wheezing, sneezing or bubbles in the eyes? Someone just told me the Infectious Bronchitis could be linked to these. My polish recovered from the IB a few months ago.

Not sure if we have Pokeweed. We are in Lancaster Pa and the chickens free range in our yard and the woods behind the house. We got our Polish from Lancaster Fancy Fowl. I'm not sure where he got his from though. Did you polish show any other symptoms of Infectious Bronchitis prior to this? Like runny nose, wheezing, sneezing or bubbles in the eyes? Someone just told me the Infectious Bronchitis could be linked to these. My polish recovered from the IB a few months ago.

I live up north like you. Our Polish have never shown any signs of Infectious Bronchitis.

Back
Top Bottom