Need help getting chicks to use Mama Heating Pad!

Please, either give them a heating pad, or a heat lamp. Do not give them both. The heating pad is designed to give them the Mama Broody experience. Mama does not give her babies a heat lamp. They chase around behind her, no matter how cold it is. Sunny day, cloudy windy and rainy day... they follow Mama, and only duck under her now and then to warm up. You run great risk of overheating your chicks by using a heat lamp. Also, keep in mind that the chicks get warm by pressing against the heating pad. Don't spend time measuring the air temp under the pad. Because you have the pad in a box, and also inside your home, you'll need much less heat than others reporting on the MHP thread. I recommend that you turn the heat down on that pad.

Please, either give them a heating pad, or a heat lamp.  Do not give them both.  The heating pad is designed to give them the Mama Broody experience.  Mama does not give her babies a heat lamp.  They chase around behind her, no matter how cold it is.  Sunny day, cloudy windy and rainy day... they follow Mama, and only duck under her now and then to warm up.  You run great risk of overheating your chicks by using a heat lamp.  Also, keep in mind that the chicks get warm by pressing against the heating pad.  Don't spend time measuring the air temp under the pad.  Because you have the pad in a box, and also inside your home, you'll need much less heat than others reporting on the MHP thread.  I recommend that you turn the heat down on that pad.  

Got it. Great advice! I was trying to keep the temp in their "cave" with the MHP at the 90 degree range as you would with a heat lamp.
I have a thermometer in there to tell me the temperature. But I will follow your advice and turn it down some. I just didn't want them to get too cold!
Thanks again for your help and advice, I truly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom