Neighbor's Dog Killed Suzie, my old hen

I’m so thankful that years ago my neighbor was fed up with the other neighbors dog coming on to their property and staring at them through the window. Neighbor 1 was upset at neighbor 2, and made them do something about it (invisible fence). We haven’t had an issue with it in years. All other neighbors keep their dogs in their yards or are too far away. One neighbor does have a cat, but I’ve yet to see her on our property.

Sorry to hear for your loss, especially when it’s a favorite bird.

If there is a bright side to this situation, your neighbors at least seem cooperative and understanding. I have seen many instances here where this was not the case.

That being said, nobody could blame you for being upset and frustrated. :(

My jimmies would be rustled too. At least the neighbors are being cool about it and trying to confine their dogs. What really makes me mad are the folks out here in the boonies who think it's ok to let a dog run free. At that point it's just another predator in my eyes. I hate that because I'm a dog person, but my chickens > your dog.

My jimmies would be rustled too. At least the neighbors are being cool about it and trying to confine their dogs. What really makes me mad are the folks out here in the boonies who think it's ok to let a dog run free. At that point it's just another predator in my eyes. I hate that because I'm a dog person, but my chickens > your dog.
I am fortunate where I live. Unfortunate to have houses so close to mine but almost everyone keeps their dogs confined. If not and we catch them people will either take them to the pound or call them to come and get them. In order to get them back they have to pay a fine and if not licensed then another bigger fine. That makes people keep them at least in their yards which is a good thing.

We had an interesting situation last week. For what it's worth, I'll share it here. While we were at church, "something" killed one of my beautiful Sapphire Gem pullets. My DGD doesn't go so she alerted me that there was a huge pile of feathers but no body, and our dogs had not alerted. She had heard a bit of a ruckus from the chickens but didn't think much of it. Later as I was walking around the house, two strange young dogs, wearing collars, came out of the forest in a friendly way. Certain they were the culprits I ran them off, noting the color of their collars. When I calmed down I called a neighbor to ask if they were his. He said no but thought they might belong to a new neighbor on the other side of me, who was known to him. I asked him to give the new guy my number and ask him to call me, explaining why. After a bit the new neighbor did call and I told him I thought his dogs might have killed my good hen and described the dogs. I suggested he bring his dogs over so I might id them. He said his dogs were out running loose but he would bring a picture.

He brought a pic of not two, but three dogs. I id'd the two I had seen. The third one had passed away a few weeks ago, he said. What did he owe me for the hen? I told him I would take $30 for her. He had $20 on him and I took it. Then we stood and talked a bit, him and me and my DH. He was a youngish guy and said he'd recently gotten out of the Marines after a brain injury. He said he would keep his dogs penned up after this. We gave him a dozen eggs and parted friends.

It was worth the chicken to get to know him. He was amazed at our attitude. But one bad episode does not mean we have to be enemies for life. He did what he could to make it right, so there is no point in holding it against him forever.

We had an interesting situation last week. For what it's worth, I'll share it here. While we were at church, "something" killed one of my beautiful Sapphire Gem pullets. My DGD doesn't go so she alerted me that there was a huge pile of feathers but no body, and our dogs had not alerted. She had heard a bit of a ruckus from the chickens but didn't think much of it. Later as I was walking around the house, two strange young dogs, wearing collars, came out of the forest in a friendly way. Certain they were the culprits I ran them off, noting the color of their collars. When I calmed down I called a neighbor to ask if they were his. He said no but thought they might belong to a new neighbor on the other side of me, who was known to him. I asked him to give the new guy my number and ask him to call me, explaining why. After a bit the new neighbor did call and I told him I thought his dogs might have killed my good hen and described the dogs. I suggested he bring his dogs over so I might id them. He said his dogs were out running loose but he would bring a picture.

He brought a pic of not two, but three dogs. I id'd the two I had seen. The third one had passed away a few weeks ago, he said. What did he owe me for the hen? I told him I would take $30 for her. He had $20 on him and I took it. Then we stood and talked a bit, him and me and my DH. He was a youngish guy and said he'd recently gotten out of the Marines after a brain injury. He said he would keep his dogs penned up after this. We gave him a dozen eggs and parted friends.

It was worth the chicken to get to know him. He was amazed at our attitude. But one bad episode does not mean we have to be enemies for life. He did what he could to make it right, so there is no point in holding it against him forever.
I think this is the right attitude. I think you acted like an adult and a neighbor. I'm sorry for the loss of your chickens. I think it's good to have a place to vent, within reason, with people who can understand. That can help move one forward to behave with grace and reasonableness.

Oh, and it's been awhile, so I will update. After the promise by them that they'll watch their dog when it's out, I had the chickens out and I hear a ruckus and there that damn dog is running after my chickens with a mouth full of grey feathers. I ran out in my socks (this was when the ground was frozen) and was chasing after the dog who was chasing the chickens and my dog was just wondering why that dog wouldn't play with her and only wanted to "play" with my chickens. Neighbor came and got the dog, said he'd just gone back inside for a bit. They'd also gotten a shock collar for the dog (not sure they have any idea how to use it).

I found only one of the 5 chickens outside, only feathers I saw were grey and I've only got one lavender orp. I'd seen the grey chicken head into the house (as I'd left the door open when I ran out) I went in and tried to find her but couldn't. I couldn't find the other ones in my yard either. I did find the grey one in the house hiding under a desk, which was good as I was able to pick her up and check her out and there was no blood. At about dusk, I had my husband go over the fence into my other neighbor's yard and the chickens were over there. They couldn't hop the fence back into my yard and were trying to go through the chain link fence. They're dumb and weren't ever big on letting me pick them up. But, I did get them all back.

The rest of the winter they've been confined to their run and not let out in the yard. I have started letting them out again, when the neighbors are at work. I've gotten the times from them so that I know when it's safe and then I put them back in the coop by the time they come back from work. So I guess that's a solution.

Oh, and I got 4 new chicks, I wasn't going to, but blue eggs, and you can't just get one chick and really, 9 is the old 6 and who is counting any way.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to give them more space to roam where the dog can't get to them.

Oh, and it's been awhile, so I will update. After the promise by them that they'll watch their dog when it's out, I had the chickens out and I hear a ruckus and there that damn dog is running after my chickens with a mouth full of grey feathers. I ran out in my socks (this was when the ground was frozen) and was chasing after the dog who was chasing the chickens and my dog was just wondering why that dog wouldn't play with her and only wanted to "play" with my chickens. Neighbor came and got the dog, said he'd just gone back inside for a bit. They'd also gotten a shock collar for the dog (not sure they have any idea how to use it).

I found only one of the 5 chickens outside, only feathers I saw were grey and I've only got one lavender orp. I'd seen the grey chicken head into the house (as I'd left the door open when I ran out) I went in and tried to find her but couldn't. I couldn't find the other ones in my yard either. I did find the grey one in the house hiding under a desk, which was good as I was able to pick her up and check her out and there was no blood. At about dusk, I had my husband go over the fence into my other neighbor's yard and the chickens were over there. They couldn't hop the fence back into my yard and were trying to go through the chain link fence. They're dumb and weren't ever big on letting me pick them up. But, I did get them all back.

The rest of the winter they've been confined to their run and not let out in the yard. I have started letting them out again, when the neighbors are at work. I've gotten the times from them so that I know when it's safe and then I put them back in the coop by the time they come back from work. So I guess that's a solution.

Oh, and I got 4 new chicks, I wasn't going to, but blue eggs, and you can't just get one chick and really, 9 is the old 6 and who is counting any way.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to give them more space to roam where the dog can't get to them.
I don't let my chickens out much as before . They get an hour or two here and there and are happy as before. Four of my hens have no interest in free ranging since a bob cat attacked the flock last year and the rest stick very close to the run since losing 2 this spring

Bless you for being so kind. I was the same way with a neighbor whose dog killed my beloved Bunny. It does no good to bring hatred into the situation as that would not have brought my Bunny back nor your beloved Hen. I pray like my neighbor that he keeps his dogs penned so that you do not lose any more Chickens. Thanks for sharing.

Is there any way you can buy 6' dog panels and make them a long run with them? I know they are not cheap but that is how I made my huge duck pen. You could even buy 4 foot ones which would be cheaper and put strong netting over the top of it. I pray you can find a solution so that they will be safe. There are leash laws where we live and getting a picture of the dogs on our property and showing it to the dog warden would warrant a big fine for the owners of the dogs.

Back
Top Bottom