New chickens, how long before free ranging?

First of all, it depends on how young/old your birds are. We free range and our birds love it! They all come in on their own just before dark. It's great.

We started with 6 Barred Rock girls at 2 days old. It was at about 10 weeks we started letting them out for a few hours. At about 12 weeks, we just open the door in the morning, close it at night.

Our guineas were a month inside, 5 weeks in their new tractor coop, then free range.

Just give them some time to learn where home is. And always feed them in the coop!!!! Food and water is in the coop. That brings them back.

Best of luck to ya!!

We have eight Amberlinks who are about 4.5 months old who we have had for a couple weeks. We just added a 6 month old barred rock today. The Amberlinks are obviously smaller and I wouldn't mind giving them some more space so I may start them outside the coop for a few hours tomorrow. Thanks.

For a test run wait until an hour or so before dusk and then let them free range. They should wander a bit, but put themselves back in the coop once the sun starts going down if things are going to plan.

I let them out about an hour and a half before sundown tonight. They stayed close to the coop, and put themselves away before it got dark. Couldn't ask for much more than that.

Thanks. I finished my flock, for now, by adding a rooster. I will probably keep him in for a few days before starting the same process.

My chickens were out in their coop at 10 weeks and then I let them free range all day every day at about 14 weeks. hope this helped you!

Back
Top Bottom