New fence to keep the Chickens out!

itsmechrissy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
SE Wisconsin
The hub and I were on vacation this week. We used the time to build a new fence around my veggie garden area which will (hopefully) keep the girls out. The ground is not real level in that are so in order to keep the fence top level we had to adjust the height as we went -- I know the girls can fly over this if they want to but this may deter them a bit!

Below is a pic of the fence (so far). We still need to work on the entry way ...adding an arbor-like top and a gate. And in the fall we will paint the whole thing white (gotta let the treated wood sit for 3-6 months).

It looks much nicer than mine but I fear it won't keep them out for long. Mine is just t-posts with 4' chicken wire and they've never attempted to fly over it, I think because the chicken wire top looks to "spindly" to hold them. However if the top of a fence is substantial enough they can land on it, they are more likely to go over it. My neighbor has a fence the same height as mine but it is chain link with a top rail, and hers go over all the time by jumping up to rest on the top rain, then jumping down on the other side.

I think that if the girls start flying over the fence we can add some sort of wire to the top .... but we have a huge yard so hoping that won't happen! (fingers crossed!)

Our picket fence keeps them from the upper yard. But if you have issues, you can always add a wider bed to boarder the outside of pickets and put some different flowers that will keep them back, or plant a row of sunflowers or bean poles. The random things in their way can confuse them to thinking better of getting over the fence

Our picket fence keeps them from the upper yard. But if you have issues, you can always add a wider bed to boarder the outside of pickets and put some different flowers that will keep them back, or plant a row of sunflowers or bean poles. The random things in their way can confuse them to thinking better of getting over the fence
Great ideas!!! Thanks so much!

It doesn't matter how much yard you have, the chickens will find your garden and the fence won't keep them out. The only thing that really helps it to place a strip of wire fencing or a strand or two of wire across the top of the fencing~even the gate~ to prevent landings. A good 6-8 in. of wired blockage will usually work. Chickens like to fly to the top, land briefly and then drop down on the other side and even a 6 ft fence won't stop that from happening if you have determine birds. Preventing them having that stable place to land by placing wire there will help keep them out.

Very pretty fencing, BTW...should be really stunning when you get the painting and the arbor done with the vines and all.

Thanks.... we can add wiring if needed! It's an option we'll use if needed... but I also like the idea of planting flowers outside the fence to detour them... that'd be cute :)

You might have to place chicken wire down around your flowers to keep them from scratching them out, dust bathing in them and crushing them. It sounds lovely and all but chickens don't know a thing about lovely and treat all the yard as their very own, private chicken resort and spa.

That is a good looking fence around your garden. I put up an old fishing net. Too flimsy to land on. They get all tangled up if they try to go through it. 2 got caught in it. I left them tangled in it 5 minutes or so before I got them out. Got a motion sensored sprinkler now. They don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom