New here and brooder question

Nicechickens64

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
Hello, my name is Laura and im new here!. I’m getting 10 pullets and 1 cockerel in the next two days!, we pick some chics up tomorrow and the rest Tuesday!.I’ve been researching like crazy and getting help from my friends with chickens!!. But, I’m nervous lol. Here is my question, I’ve got the rent a coop big brooder set up for them while they are young. After setting this up, it seems that after a couple weeks they will need more room. Anyway, I can move them to a bigger space, right now in this brooder, I’ve got the 12x12 heat plate that comes with the RAC brooder. I’ve got hemp bedding and brooder is in my home right now. The Lowest temp in the house will be about 60 at night. Do, I need a heat lamp as well on the rest of the brooder, so it’s not to cold inside this brooder?Also, I was told I should get one of the flat heat mats and put their food (not water) on the heat mat. That way they won’t get cold while eating. I see on this forum there are many with years of wonderful expertise. Thank you in advance for your help. I’m so happy to of found this great place!.

Hello Laura, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

You do not need any other heat source than the brooder plate. Keeping the chicks at ambient temperatures with a place for them to warm themselves when needed is ideal.

Do you already have your coop and run? If so, I would brood directly in the coop using the plate.

Hi Laura, welcome to BYC. I mostly have (co)raised chicks with broody hens.
When I raise them by myself I try to mimic the hens. They go under their mama when they are cold and to sleep. She takes them out in all kinds of weather, where they eat, drink, play, and scratch.
So no, they will use the brooder plate when they need it, and will sleep under it. They do not need a heat lamp or a pad under their water and food.

Thank you all so much!!. It’s wonderful knowing I have a place to ask questions and to just chat chickens!!. I know from past experience there’s nothing like having a great group of like minded friends!! Ive bred and shown AKC Champions/ Grand Champion Mastiffs for many years. Well, I’m really pretty much retired from breeding Mastiffs. We still have them and a French Bull dog lol. Anyway, Chickens are brand new to myself and hubby!!. He’s almost finished building a beautiful coop and very large run. The chickens will be able to free range daily as well!!. I’ll most likely be back to hear what others do for the hardware cloth under the coop and run. the coop is off the ground.we are out in the country and we certainly have predators, so we need to be sure the chickens are safe!! I’ll gladly introduce the chics soon!!. Thank you all again so much for your kindness and help!!.

Back
Top Bottom