New Member (UK based)

Notepad12

Chirping
Mar 23, 2024
Hey all, first post here so go easy on me!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I'm new to chickens, I have a run and coop built but no chickens yet

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None yet

(3) What breeds do you have?

Nothing currently

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Brings back childhood memories of growing up around chickens on my parents small hold

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm into football, rugby and general gardening/vegetable growing

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

No other pets at the moment, I have a wife and two children

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC when reviewing opinions about breeds of chickens I was looking to get, known about BYC for only a couple weeks now.

I want some advice about chickens!

I hopes that's a good introduction

Hey,

Absolutely, trying to decide if hybrids or large fowl are the way to go for a beginner

Though I'm leaning towards hybrids for now
I’m less familiar with UK poultry terminology as I just moved to the UK recently but to my understanding, “hybrids” typically refer to sex-linked breeds that are classified as large fowl. Bantams, conversely, are much smaller and usually kept for ornamental purposes. :) Let us know what you decide!

Hey,

Absolutely, trying to decide if hybrids or large fowl are the way to go for a beginner

Though I'm leaning towards hybrids for now

IMG_6573.gif
What is most important for you?
If you start to like the chickens would you like them to be healthy and stay even after ten years when they stop laying (a string breed or barnyard mixes are perfect)?

Or would you rather have an egg each day from every chicken and make them soup chick after 3-4 years (laying hybrids are perfect).

Or would you like them to look astonishing and go for one or two ornamental breeds. Check out the chicken encyclopedia to make a few choices and see what is available in the within driving distance , search on the online markets. The encyclopaedia is in Dutch, I couldn't find one in English,

Back
Top Bottom