CarburgFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2024
Grants Pass, Oregon
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to chickens and have 3 week old chicks currently. (3-25-24)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have 22!

(3) What breeds do you have?

Bielefelders, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Barred Rock, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, and Splash Laced Red Wyandottes.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I really like being able to eat healthier eggs (and eventually chickens), providing a much better environment for our food providers (chickens!), and also having some help with keeping down bugs in the garden/yard.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love to read and plan for what we can do with our new farm.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My husband, my mother, and I moved from the SF Bay Area to southern Oregon to a 23 acre farm in 2023. We're learning what it takes to live more holistically with our land and how to provide better options for food sustainability. We have indoor cats, and some goats currently. I work in small animal veterinary medicine (dogs and cats) so I have basic animal welfare skills, but avian and livestock is all new to me!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC on Facebook originally, and have seen the website numerous times while Googling information. I finally realized I should join the community to get a better immersion into the world of chickens since we now have chickens of our own.

Here is our current setup. We started them in a tote, but they quickly outgrew that after the first week. I think this is one of the few photos I have with everyone in it.

They are in this play pen that has a zipper top, and this is in our spare bathroom. We haven't had a play date outside yet because it's still too cold here. It's rainy and about 50 degrees outside right now.

They won't have access to all 23 acres (it's mostly forested) but we are working on giving them a large area to explore outside of the enclosed run they will have. We have a lot of predators around us, so working on minimizing predator hazards before they get outside.

The coop is a work in progress, but it's almost done and should be ready in the next few weeks right in time for them to be outside.

(excuse the messy feeder, this picture is before I cleaned out the never ending addition of shavings! LOL)

IMG_20240317_100836630.jpg

Back
Top Bottom