WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi friends,

i have successfully sprouted Alfalfa, Barley and Wheat for my ducks over the winter time. I just soak the grains in Water for 10-12 hours, pour them into plastic bins from $-store and cover those with cardboard lids so i can stack'em; Daily water change.
Everything grows like weeds, except for oats. I had oats sitting for a months before they started to smell bad and there were just a few sprouts. Am i making a mistake? Is it more difficult to germinate oats? Are my oats just bad? - Bought them in the same store as the Alfalfa, Barley and Wheat.

I don't think you are making mistakes. Everyone says oats are difficult to sprout. Are you using whole oats (with the hull) or oat groats?
IMHO, barley and sunflower seeds are the easiest and quickest to sprout.
One thing you can try is to soak for a much shorter period - like 2 hours.
Too much soaking time can over hydrate them which slows germination.
What temperature are they held at?

I don't think you are making mistakes. Everyone says oats are difficult to sprout. Are you using whole oats (with the hull) or oat groats?
IMHO, barley and sunflower seeds are the easiest and quickest to sprout.
One thing you can try is to soak for a much shorter period - like 2 hours.
Too much soaking time can over hydrate them which slows germination.
What temperature are they held at?
Sorry, i somehow missed your answer! I have all the sprouts at the same temperature in my bedroom which is about 68-72F. I bought whole oats and i will try to keep them drier the next time. Thank you very much for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom