Overachieving research prior to getting my first chickens

California Carol

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
Hi All,
My name is Carol. My husband Cliff and I are planning ahead and researching so we make our first chickens healthy family member. We live in California and have a small horse ranch with Icelandic horses and miniature donkeys. When I am not enjoying the great outdoors, I am a neonatal intensive care nurse at a children's hospital 50 miles away from home. My hubby is the stay home ranch hand whose very handy with a tractor. I discovered BYC through a search engine when I was looking for information on how to best take care of chickens (coops, pens, feed, etc). I am excited to continue to explore the site as I want to learn everything that I can so we can have happy and healthy chickens in the near future.

Hi All,
My name is Carol. My husband Cliff and I are planning ahead and researching so we make our first chickens healthy family member. We live in California and have a small horse ranch with Icelandic horses and miniature donkeys. When I am not enjoying the great outdoors, I am a neonatal intensive care nurse at a children's hospital 50 miles away from home. My hubby is the stay home ranch hand whose very handy with a tractor. I discovered BYC through a search engine when I was looking for information on how to best take care of chickens (coops, pens, feed, etc). I am excited to continue to explore the site as I want to learn everything that I can so we can have happy and healthy chickens in the near future.
You should try to find someone selling Crested Cream Legbar in your area. They are really pretty, and you can tell hens from roosters by color when they hatch, instead of waiting to hear a crow.

I applaud your overachieving research!! It's great that you've joined this community of poultry-loving folks who enjoy helping others learn about and raise chickens.

Here's a wee secret: Now matter how much you think you've covered all your bases, chickens have a way of surprising you with something or other that you simply couldn't have imagined. :)

So, congrats on being part of an experienced community of generous, knowledgeable people who want to help you succeed.

Welcome to BYC, Carol; please let us know when you get your birds!

You should try to find someone selling Crested Cream Legbar in your area. They are really pretty, and you can tell hens from roosters by color when they hatch, instead of waiting to hear a crow.
I love cream Legbars. Are they heat hardy? We live in an area with temps as low as mid 30's and highs of 100 +.

Back
Top Bottom