Penciling gene

Bberryrt

Chirping
Sep 18, 2018
What luck. Ran up on this poult from a small town animal trade day here in south Mississippi. The gentleman didn’t know what kind it was. Nice addition to my gene pool. Was told it is probably b’b’ Ccg Rr Pnpn and after research I agree. Hopefully it will turn out pnpn.

Attachments

• 72BDF65A-91E0-4E66-BB08-8AD32EC5107A.jpeg
    72BDF65A-91E0-4E66-BB08-8AD32EC5107A.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 964B6AD5-8373-44AE-B161-8073A100DE75.jpeg
    964B6AD5-8373-44AE-B161-8073A100DE75.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 712C1299-BF50-49C7-8B49-F706F4D8FE65.jpeg
    712C1299-BF50-49C7-8B49-F706F4D8FE65.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 17
Really not much to say. The Penciled (pn) gene is one of those incomplete recessive genes like the Red (r) gene meaning that a single copy of the gene can have a partial effect on the visible coloring.

There has been speculation that the Penciled gene is linked to the Black Winged Bronze (b1) gene.

With Porter bringing back the Recessive Slate turkeys, it may indicate that the Penciled gene is not linked to the Black Winged Bronze gene since the Recessive Slates are Penciled but do not have the Black Winged Bronze gene. It is also interesting that even though the Recessive Slates are said to be Penciled that they are not claiming that it has a Penciled gene.

Based on the b1b1 Ccg Rr Pnpn speculation of the OP, the poult is a Semi-Penciled Harvest Gold. If it turns out to be pnpn, it will be a Penciled Harvest Gold.

Really not much to say. The Penciled (pn) gene is one of those incomplete recessive genes like the Red (r) gene meaning that a single copy of the gene can have a partial effect on the visible coloring.

There has been speculation that the Penciled gene is linked to the Black Winged Bronze (b1) gene.

With Porter bringing back the Recessive Slate turkeys, it may indicate that the Penciled gene is not linked to the Black Winged Bronze gene since the Recessive Slates are Penciled but do not have the Black Winged Bronze gene. It is also interesting that even though the Recessive Slates are said to be Penciled that they are not claiming that it has a Penciled gene.

Based on the b1b1 Ccg Rr Pnpn speculation of the OP, the poult is a Semi-Penciled Harvest Gold. If it turns out to be pnpn, it will be a Penciled Harvest Gold.
I thought it could possibly have nn too, but not real sure on that yet.

I thought it could possibly have nn too, but not real sure on that yet.
That is a possibility if it is a male. If it is a female, at best it could only have one (n-). Knowing the parentage would be helpful. Without that it is just wait and see and offspring produced with mates whose genetics are known or of course DNA testing.

Back
Top Bottom