Pigeons in winter

poeticchampions

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
Hi all,
Me and the wife just joined your group. She would like to have some pet pigeons and we were wondering about how to take care of them in cold weather here in central Ohio.
Here is what we know from other discussions:
1. Pigeons do not like drafty conditions.
2. Pigeons need more whole corn in cold weather to stay warm.
3. Need to pay attention to having fresh water for them to drink.
4. Do not use artificial heat.

My question is around housing.
I was going to make an outside pen (see example image) for her pigeons, insulated all around with a full door over the front, but how do you avoid cold air drafts getting in when you have to access the cage when feeding, watering? Is a brief (couple minutes) cold not a big deal?
Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but I don't want her birds to die or suffer.
Thanks to all in advance for your wisdom!
JD

l_MisaelOrtega2.jpg

Insulating against wind is most important. They need air, of course, but you need to prevent wind from blowing through.
it also helps to keep wood chips on the floor so they don’t have to stand on the cold floor.
I have also seen heated water dishes for animals and birds that will prevent their water from freezing.

My question is around housing.
I was going to make an outside pen (see example image) for her pigeons, insulated all around with a full door over the front, but how do you avoid cold air drafts getting in when you have to access the cage when feeding, watering? Is a brief (couple minutes) cold not a big deal?
Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but I don't want her birds to die or suffer.
Thanks to all in advance for your wisdom!
JD
You have done your research!! Good job!!!

I like to cover two thirds of the Windows with clear plastic paint sheets. That allows sunlight to get in, but no drafts. I leave the South racing windows uncovered, as cold drafts don't normally blow from the south. I just tack them over each window\door, so that I can still open and access them. A couple minutes without it isn't going to hurt them. They are tough birds.

I think you will find yourself enjoying them just as much as your wife. They are really fun. Ask anything else you need!

If you’re going to build something like that and bundle it up in the winter I suggest having at least part (even a third is fine) of the floor made of hardware cloth to provide adequate ventilation. You want there to be air exchange but you shouldn’t feel a breeze inside :)
Pigeons are tough birds. Last winter I had one choose to sleep outside in the aviary every night instead of the loft. I eventually stopped worrying about her and she made it through the winter just fine.

Insulating against wind is most important. They need air, of course, but you need to prevent wind from blowing through.
it also helps to keep wood chips on the floor so they don’t have to stand on the cold floor.
I have also seen heated water dishes for animals and birds that will prevent their water from freezing.

Hi!
Yes, I was planning on using plenty of wood shavings/straw/ground up dead leaves so they can nest/stand comfortably.
The heated dish is a good idea. Don't want dehydrated birds!
So based on comments, people actually have at least part of the south-facing side of the house open for air flow, but tight enough overall so no drafts exist. I can do that! :cool:
Thanks very much for the insight.
J

You have done your research!! Good job!!!

I like to cover two thirds of the Windows with clear plastic paint sheets. That allows sunlight to get in, but no drafts. I leave the South racing windows uncovered, as cold drafts don't normally blow from the south. I just tack them over each window\door, so that I can still open and access them. A couple minutes without it isn't going to hurt them. They are tough birds.

I think you will find yourself enjoying them just as much as your wife. They are really fun. Ask anything else you need!
Hi,
Are paint sheets = plastic drop cloths? I suppose I could use plexiglass I have, too. It might hold up better?
I guess I never imagined leaving the south side open to the elements, but pigeons live totally outside here in Ohio, so they sure are tough!

I'm sure I will like them too. Like chickens, I'm sure watching them is super relaxing. :cool:
Thanks for the advice!
J

Are paint sheets = plastic drop cloths? I suppose I could use plexiglass I have, too. It might hold up better?
plexis would be great if made removable, so that it holds up better AND on nicer days befoee its warm, top open it up for a bit.
I guess I never imagined leaving the south side open to the elements, but pigeons live totally outside here in Ohio, so they sure are tough!
yes, they are tough. they can live down to -50 degrees fairhenheight if there are no drafts. I don't think i could do that inside a heated house! I don't like the cold.

plexis would be great if made removable, so that it holds up better AND on nicer days befoee its warm, top open it up for a bit.

yes, they are tough. they can live down to -50 degrees fairhenheight if there are no drafts. I don't think i could do that inside a heated house! I don't like the cold.
-50F? That's pretty amazing.
Yep, I would make it seasonal, like a storm window. I actually could use a window mounted horizontally maybe...hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom