Please tell me what these tail feathers mean? Male or female? 13 weeks

Basskids08

Chick Logging
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
In the country somewhere
This is the one EE that no one can tell for sure if it's female or male! Here are pictures of the tail feathers and I don't remember if their supposed to be round or pointed for female!

Thank you everyone!

I would say rooster from the three row comb, this method doesn't always work but since the comb is so red at this age I would say so. In most chickens, if some of the tail feathers are curved (sickle feathers) then they are roosters. It's harder to say for EEs because hens usually have longer tails, I have also seen EE pullets with curved tail feathers ( In your chicken, I am seeing a tail feather that is slightly curved).

But in this case I am going with rooster. :)

Last edited:
I would say rooster from the three row comb, this method doesn't always work but since the comb is so red at this age I would say so. In most chickens, if some of the tail feathers are curved (sickle feathers) then they are roosters. It's harder to say for EEs because hens usually have longer tails, I have also seen EE pullets with curved tail feathers ( In your chicken, I am seeing a tail feather that is slightly curved).

But in this case I am going with rooster. :)

I thought people also went by the shape of the tail feathers? Like round or pointed for determining gender!

The white one looks like a cockerel.  There is a thread on this page just for sexing EEs that is very, very helpful.  

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included
The white one looks like a cockerel.  There is a thread on this page just for sexing EEs that is very, very helpful.  

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included

Thanks and i checked it out, and saw no white EE! I guess I will have to wait and see what it does! Depressing!:(

Back
Top Bottom