Polish - 10 weeks

kirkyanne

Songster
5 Years
Mar 5, 2017
Australia
Can anyone help me sex my 3 polish chickens. I'm pretty sure the cuckoo is a pullet but the frizzle and blue I am not 100%. They are 10 weeks old in these photos. The frizzle and blue developed wattles around 6 weeks or so but I was told to not go off that and wait for crest and feather development. So here are pics from all angles. Thankyou :)

The frizzle and blue look like cockerels to me, the last seems to be a pullet. Polish cockerels usually have oblong crests, some have very pointed crest feathers, some have long pointed crest feathers at the side, like a silkies streamers. Pullets, in my experience, have a soft looking globular crest. The ‘boys’ are also looking very red!

The frizzle and blue look like cockerels to me, the last seems to be a pullet. Polish cockerels usually have oblong crests, some have very pointed crest feathers, some have long pointed crest feathers at the side, like a silkies streamers. Pullets, in my experience, have a soft looking globular crest. The ‘boys’ are also looking very red!
Thanks yes I am thinking the blue is a boy although he started off with a similar round crest to the cuckoo, it seems to be thinning out a bit more in past couple of weeks. The frizzle is confusing for me though because it's feathers flip the opposite direction! But the big red wattles to me made me think a cockerel. I had people tell me though not to base on wattles for polish though so caused me some confusion lol

Thanks yes I am thinking the blue is a boy although he started off with a similar round crest to the cuckoo, it seems to be thinning out a bit more in past couple of weeks. The frizzle is confusing for me though because it's feathers flip the opposite direction! But the big red wattles to me made me think a cockerel. I had people tell me though not to base on wattles for polish though so caused me some confusion lol

Oh, I haven’t heard that before, just that you can’t use wattles as a means for sexing on bearded chickens. The frizzle does look particularly cockerel like to me, you’ll know for definite if he pops a crow. I think frizzles can get wispy feathers in place of a cockerels saddle/hackle feathers, you should also watch your blues saddle feathers, I couldn’t see them well in the picture but cockerels have pointy saddle feathers

Oh, I haven’t heard that before, just that you can’t use wattles as a means for sexing on bearded chickens. The frizzle does look particularly cockerel like to me, you’ll know for definite if he pops a crow. I think frizzles can get wispy feathers in place of a cockerels saddle/hackle feathers, you should also watch your blues saddle feathers, I couldn’t see them well in the picture but cockerels have pointy saddle feathers
So the breeder is telling me now that the frizzle is a girl. The mum developed really early also, something in the genetics! So confusing lol

So the breeder is telling me now that the frizzle is a girl. The mum developed really early also, something in the genetics! So confusing lol

Really doubtful of that chicken being a pullet. I know it’s frizzled but it’s crest looks cockerel compared to other frizzle pullets I’ve seen. It’s correct most polish frizzle cockerels have saddle feathers. I feel confident I’m seeing some on him/her. Also, like I said, that is a lot of red for a 10wk pullet no matter the genetics. Maybe it’s just me, but in my opinion, that’s a cockerel... /: sorry

Really doubtful of that chicken being a pullet. I know it’s frizzled but it’s crest looks cockerel compared to other frizzle pullets I’ve seen. It’s correct most polish frizzle cockerels have saddle feathers. I feel confident I’m seeing some on him/her. Also, like I said, that is a lot of red for a 10wk pullet no matter the genetics. Maybe it’s just me, but in my opinion, that’s a cockerel... /: sorry
So confusing lol This is a pic of the mum at similar age.

Attachments

• mum-gizelle.jpg
    mum-gizelle.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 47
But then, I see how your cockerels crest drapes down like net curtains and that’s a cockerels trait. I’m doubtful the pullet is 10 weeks, looks more like a 15-16 wk pullet.
The frizzle was always huge compared to the others, developed really quickly. Maybe I will just wait a few more weeks and see before rehoming... I can probably keep one rooster but not two. So it's hard to decide which one to keep as they are all so friendly.. :)

Back
Top Bottom