Poll-Which are better mousers Male or Female cats

PitterPaws

Songster
12 Years
Nov 29, 2007
Wisconsin
Here's my question I had a friend ask me which is a better mouser Male or Female Cats and I had no Idea?!?
lol.png

In your experience which is better Male or Female?

I don't think it is the gender rather than the personality of the cat that determines that. I have had lots of boys and girls and they all have been about equals in the hunting field.

I would want to think that a moma cat would make the best hunter LOL

Well....let's see...here are the cats I've owned in my lifetime...

Mouse = female....was not a good mouser
Trout & Sushi=both females...trout is an excellent mouser, Sushi, is not
Nelly (aka chubs) = female a so-so mouser. Shows interest but not that great.
Mrs Mew=female, had her about a year before she disappeared. Never saw her killl or get anything
Nigel=male, awesome mouser. But also will get rabbits, quail, birds and weasels!
Butters= male, good mouser. Not as dilligent as nigel
Gallagher=male (missing right now, please pray that he comes home), good mouser

I've heard that if they don't learn to hunt from their mom's, they never learn...

With the cats I've had, the females have leaned towards being the best hunters-- our current cat brings home at least 2 lizards and doves a day (she usually keeps mice and baby rabbits for herself
smile.png
)

I had a neutered male cat who didn't know what to do with mice, but was AMAZING with insects-- scorpions esp.

I'm sure breed has a factor, too. Our current cat who hunts everything is half bengal... she'll jump on my two year old son on occasion...

I have five cats. Three of them go outside regularly, and two of them have been seen with mice or voles. One of them is a female, about a year old, who was a feral cat rescue at about 6 weeks. The other is a male senior citizen who just recently started spending time outside, and apparently fancies himself quite the hunter. I think it just depends on the cat-itude!

I have 6 cats and i dont ever really see my 2 girls go after a mouse. But a few of my boys are real good mousers. Although, i bet if a female cat was feral and had kittens to feed she would be a way better mouser than a male cat, because its her natural instinct to feed and teach her kittens to catch their food.

Mine is a great mouser. She brings mice (if we ever have any), rabbits, chipmunks, moles (occasionally). But she was an outdoor cat originally. She came to our house as a stray and had 4 kittens in one of our window wells
roll.png
I remember one time, she caught a chipmunk and brought it in the garage for her kittens to play with
sickbyc.gif
They kept poking it with their paws which was kind of funny
lol.png

My best mouser, believe it or not, is a declawed female we got as a tiny kitten who figured out mousing all by herself. She used to bring us rats as big as she was in her younger days.

Now she's old and lazy, like me.
lol.png

Her understudy, who is learning quickly, is a rescue who used to be feral and has extra claws on each foot--a total of 26. Only thing different is that the older cat will bring the mice to us mostly whole, occasionally stashing them in our shoes, while the younger one tends to kill them messily and then hide the body for later consumption. We don't find it until it stinks pretty badly, after we've already cleaned the room three times and still can't figure out what stinks.

I'm gonna go with personality over gender. The woman I use to live with had a female cat that spent her entire day hunting (she was found at one week old tied up sack... she was the only one of four left alive). Her daughter spent most of her time on the back of the couch.

Of the four males and one female I have had, Two of the males were all over anything that moved, but one lived for it, and the other was only a dawn/dusk hunter. One of the males would watch mice run past his feet, and the other was an opportunist. The female is an occasional hunter.

Back
Top Bottom