Potential Internal Laying???

Rhodebar Lover

Brahma Fanatic
9 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Arrington, Tennessee USA
Hello! I have a Cream Legbar pullet who is 35 weeks (8 months) old. She has never to my awareness laid an egg. I have however been away from my house and in college so I can't officially confirm this but blue eggs have never been found. She is incredibly flighty so I do not handle her as it stresses her out immensely but yesterday I held her and felt a hard mass in her abdomen. I assumed it was an egg but no egg was found yesterday or today so I felt her again. Upon further inspection I believe it's fluid in her abdomen. It reminds me of a hen I had with ascites years ago. What is the likely cause of this in such a young pullet? Any suggestions if there is any treatment? Logistically could she just have a defect? Has anyone else ever encountered anything like this? I will try to get pictures today or tomorrow.
Edited to add: She was also showing interest in the nesting box yesterday like she wanted to lay.

Last edited:
Can you give her a human calcium plus vitamin D tablet orally into her beak, in case she has an egg stuck? Is she walking oddly with a wide stance or is her tail pointed down? What do her droppings looking like?

She is acting fine and is walking fine as well. Her droppings are fine as far as I can tell but I have pretty deep bedding so they get lost but I can only see normal droppings under her on the roost. How many mg of calcium would she need? Is there any harmful effects if she isn't egg bound?
9A80F158-45BD-4668-974C-BCF6DC1704F7.jpeg

896AD19F-0D19-495D-995C-DB9EA0FBBEDD.jpeg

Here's an update, I'm waiting at the vet right now but this is how her vent looks. It's looked like this for a couple days but due to Christmas, this was the soonest my local exotics/avian/farm vet could get her in. Perhaps vent gleet? I will know for sure quite soon. Hoping for something treatable 😔
B41A0CA2-F491-4007-BE4E-C0D3CF142121.jpeg

Hard to tell if that is mucus, poop or egg matter. I would get her cleaned off right after your vet sees her. Let her know what they say.
I didn't know either. She is cleaned off now and the vet prescribed anti inflammatory medicine and antibiotics. They found a soft-shelled egg in her and one of her ovaries is infected. She is inside now and resting. Fingers crossed for a good outcome🤞🤞 I'm just hopeful it heals and doesn't scar which the vet says can cause permanent issues.

I didn't know either. She is cleaned off now and the vet prescribed anti inflammatory medicine and antibiotics. They found a soft-shelled egg in her and one of her ovaries is infected. She is inside now and resting. Fingers crossed for a good outcome🤞🤞 I'm just hopeful it heals and doesn't scar which the vet says can cause permanent issues.
How's your girl doin?
I've got one laying shell-less eggs and little concerned. Saw your thread and thought I'd see the outcome.

How's your girl doin?
I've got one laying shell-less eggs and little concerned. Saw your thread and thought I'd see the outcome.
I believe her swelling has gone down. Right when we started her on the antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, I had to a preplanned trip out of the country. While I was trying to teach a family member to give her antibiotics with the syringe, they accidentally put it in her airway causing her to aspirate. She was wheezing for the next few days and would throw up when attempts to give the medicine were made😳 Luckily when I returned, I was able to administer the full course of antibiotics no problem. I am trying to integrate her with the flock but she is getting bullied which is quite sad so she escaped the run😔 I'm at a loss of what exactly to do but to my knowledge, she seems to have improved!! The only issue is, in my reading it seems that this is extremely likely to reoccur. Hopefully she's "fixed" rather than we just bought more time with her. Good luck with your hen!! Egg laying issues are the absolute worst.

I believe her swelling has gone down. Right when we started her on the antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, I had to a preplanned trip out of the country. While I was trying to teach a family member to give her antibiotics with the syringe, they accidentally put it in her airway causing her to aspirate. She was wheezing for the next few days and would throw up when attempts to give the medicine were made😳 Luckily when I returned, I was able to administer the full course of antibiotics no problem. I am trying to integrate her with the flock but she is getting bullied which is quite sad so she escaped the run😔 I'm at a loss of what exactly to do but to my knowledge, she seems to have improved!! The only issue is, in my reading it seems that this is extremely likely to reoccur. Hopefully she's "fixed" rather than we just bought more time with her. Good luck with your hen!! Egg laying issues are the absolute worst.
That's hard...silly me had no idea you give it to em on one side and not just straight in...
I'm glad she's better though!

Back
Top Bottom