Racing Pigeon Diet

Poultrybreeder

Crowing
Apr 21, 2017
New Mexico
I am trying to get into racing pigeons, and am currently thinking up a mix to feed them. So far I was going to mix safflower, wheat, milo, white millet, black oil sunflower seeds and whole corn. I would like to add some kind of readily available grain to boost protein, any ideas? Should I change anything that I have listed currently? Thanks!

Last edited:
Do you have any experience making up complete diets for birds?

I researched for days to make dog food and decided it wasn’t worth it . Let the experts put together a healthy ,complete diet for them .

You can keep them alive on a handful of grains but will they be healthy ?and getting all the vitamins and minerals they should get?

I am trying to get into racing pigeons, and am currently thinking up a mix to feed them. So far I was going to mix safflower, wheat, milo, white millet, black oil sunflower seeds and whole corn. I would like to add some kind of readily available grain to boost protein, any ideas? Should I change anything that I have listed currently? Thanks!
I don't see any Canadian Peas or Field peas in your mix. Those would boost your protein I believe.
During racing season many fliers use several different mixes, a cleansing mix after the race, then higher protein, then higher carb before the next race. I'm not sure I have that exactly right but there are several good youtube videos on the subject.
You mention Redcell... I have heard that recommended as a supplement.
Hope this helps.:D

I feed my birds a pigeon-specific seed mix that's made locally, and they do great on it. Listing ingridients from most to least, it includes milo, millet, vetch peas, maple peas and whole corn (the small popcorn kind). When it's really cold out, I supplement it by adding more whole corn. Pigeon's mix protein content shouldn't be beyond the parameters of 12-18%, with around 15% being good IMO.

While my mix doesn't include sunflower seeds or safflower, I don't think that necessarily hurts to add, but I would be very cautious with how much safflower you add, it is VERY high in fat. Maybe keep that as more of a treat.

Pellets work too. Meat bird or game bird pellets are too high in protein, but usually a non-medicated chicken layer pellet is in the nutritional zone for pigeons. For a while I fed Purina's Layena chicken layer pellets and my birds did well, but taste wise they very much prefer their seed mix. Pellets are nice though for the following reasons: (1) no picking/browsing certain seeds, (2) no real need to feed a grit, and (3) many include probiotics and pre-biotics.

I feed my birds a pigeon-specific seed mix that's made locally, and they do great on it. Listing ingridients from most to least, it includes milo, millet, vetch peas, maple peas and whole corn (the small popcorn kind). When it's really cold out, I supplement it by adding more whole corn. Pigeon's mix protein content shouldn't be beyond the parameters of 12-18%, with around 15% being good IMO.

While my mix doesn't include sunflower seeds or safflower, I don't think that necessarily hurts to add, but I would be very cautious with how much safflower you add, it is VERY high in fat. Maybe keep that as more of a treat.

Pellets work too. Meat bird or game bird pellets are too high in protein, but usually a non-medicated chicken layer pellet is in the nutritional zone for pigeons. For a while I fed Purina's Layena chicken layer pellets and my birds did well, but taste wise they very much prefer their seed mix. Pellets are nice though for the following reasons: (1) no picking/browsing certain seeds, (2) no real need to feed a grit, and (3) many include probiotics and pre-biotics.
Thanks! I had actually heard about the safflower thing, and have that part figured out.

Last edited:
What I was planning on doing is buying this wild bird seed: https://www.petsmart.com/bird/wild-...od/grreat-choice-wild-bird-seed-mix-3221.html. And adding in wheat, safflower, whole corn, and green split peas. Those are the only kind of pea I could find locally. I plan on making the grain in bulk, and do not want to pay an arm and a leg to have peas shipped to me.

Before you start monkeying around with this, I recommend poking around your local pigeon racing or performing breed communities (or any pigeon club) and see where they get their feed from. They usually have facebook groups. I am sure there is a better local solution than what you are proposing. They would know. Most of those folks do everything they can to keep their hobby (addiction) as financially reasonable as possible, while of course maximizing their birds' health.

In the meantime, you can order one bag of that and try mixing it as you proposed, just watch the calcium content. Not sure how much was added to that feed. Or, temporarily, I think your birds would do fine on non-medicated chicken layer pellets .

If you end up having to go the bulk route, where you buy a lot of local ingredients in bulk and combine it to make your own mix, just be careful with storage. You may have to do this in hundreds of pound increments, and one issue like moisture and/or bugs could ruin it all.

Back
Top Bottom