Recommendations on feed to move to after chick starter

Belbris

Chirping
Feb 9, 2018
Nsw, australia
Hi,

We have 2 australorp chicks, just over 4 weeks old. We are currently feeding them the Lauke medicated chick starter. The packet says to feed it until 6 weeks, and then "from 6 weeks of age until point of lay feed “Pullet Grower MP” or “Red Hen Pullet”"

In my reading I've seen that chickens don't always respond well to a change of feed. Any tips on how to do it?

Also, any brand recommendations for Australia on what to transition to next? And is it from 6 weeks we start to change over or later? Many websites says 8-10 weeks.

Attachments

• 28312385_1537913039595384_736984865_o.jpg
    28312385_1537913039595384_736984865_o.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 28278076_1537913076262047_305018507_o.jpg
    28278076_1537913076262047_305018507_o.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 12
Forget all that fancy-smancy grower-finisher stuff. When you look at the ingredients on the label and the proportions, they're all practically identical.

You can stay with chick starter, but I'd go to the un-medicated, or you can start buying an all flock grower feed such as Purina Flock Raiser. Flock Raiser is what I've been feeding my flock for nine years, even the baby chicks since it's almost identical to chick starter.

When your pullets begin to lay, you can switch to layer or continue to feed the grower. Just add oyster shell free choice so they get the calcium they need. That's what I do, and I have no shortage of eggs.

The good thing about feeding an all flock feed is that chickens love it, and the other reason is you can feed it to every single chicken in a flock, babies, roosters, layers, and old retired over-the-hill hens.

@potato chip @Teila what do you use?

@Belbris Is there a non-medicated chick starter available? I don't see one listed on the Laucke Mills site. Even the MP Pullet Grower is medicated. The biggest concern I see with any of the options you listed is the protein% The chick starter is good at 20% but then everything drops to 15-16% except for the "Red Hen Chick" which is 23% (non-medicated). http://www.lauckemills.com.au/

A good rule of thumb would be to continue with chick starter or an all flock type feed until they begin laying eggs. Once they are laying, then you can use layer feed or continue with an all flock feed.

Hopefully more people from Australia will chime in with what they use.

Is there a non-medicated chick starter available?
Not around here - and none of the bags say so otherwise than in the small print on the back. I switched everyone when the babies were in there and had no idea they were eating medicated food with a withholding period.... I was not happy when I discovered it was medicated feed.
I found some grower that wasn't medicated. Not sure what it is, I think I still have a bag to use up, I'll check tomorrow (it's night-time). I didn't look at what is in it other than no drugs, because it was the only one available.

EDIT as for getting them used to new stuff, if you switch up in the same brand, it'll probably taste the same, but if you are worried just start mixing them and increase the new one gradually, don't just cold turkey switch. My birds are all greedy, they don't care what they get, they'll all eat it as if they've never had a meal, ever.

Last edited:
Not around here - and none of the bags say so otherwise than in the small print on the back. I switched everyone when the babies were in there and had no idea they were eating medicated food with a withholding period.... I was not happy when I discovered it was medicated feed.
I found some grower that wasn't medicated. Not sure what it is, I think I still have a bag to use up, I'll check tomorrow (it's night-time). I didn't look at what is in it other than no drugs, because it was the only one available.

EDIT as for getting them used to new stuff, if you switch up in the same brand, it'll probably taste the same, but if you are worried just start mixing them and increase the new one gradually, don't just cold turkey switch. My birds are all greedy, they don't care what they get, they'll all eat it as if they've never had a meal, ever.

I was surprised that the starter/grower formulas also were medicated. On the website it's highlighted in red, but that sort of stinks if it's in small print on the feed bags, it makes it confusing.

Hi there

I use Country Heritage Feeds Organic Chicken Starter Grower Mash but it is not cheap, plus I have to have it delivered. You may be able to get some easier in NSW.

Sorry, as I have not had youngsters for a while, I do not have an empty bag to give you the ingredients and %'s but you may be able to source them on line.

The blurb:

Organic Chicken Starter Grower Mash is a broad spectrum ration specially formulated for chicks, pullets and meat birds. Formulated using certified organic grains and protein meals, the CHF Organic Chicken Starter Grower Mash is free from all forms of medications that nmay be found in other starter feeds.
APPLICATION:
Laying Hens:
Unlike other starter feeds, the uniquely diverse nature of this ration negates the need to change diets from a starter to a grower (pullet grower) part way through the growing cycle. This therefore avoids waste and the expense of a separate feed, as it can be fed to day old chicks through to point of lay hens (approx 18-20 weeks) or slaughter for broilers (approx 10-12 weeks). It is important to ensure your chicks have free access to feed and water and are protected from any harsh environmental conditions.
For laying pullets it is also advisable to begin blending the CHF Organic Chick Starter Grower Mash with your preferred CHF Layer ration at 16 weeks of age. This will provide the extra calcium and nutrients to assist with egg production.
Meat Birds:
The CHF Organic Chicken Starter Grower Mash is equally adaptable when feeding meat birds, once again avoiding the need to swap to a grower ration during the growth cycle, allowing the same feed to be fed until slaughter (approx 12 weeks).
Key points:
* Product of Australia
* Certified organic
* Ideal for chicks, pullets, layer breeds, meat birds & ducks
* 20kg packaging
* Feed from day old to point of lay or slaughter

Sometimes they sell duck starter feed, which is basically the starter feed that is not medicated. Other birds may also use the non-medicated starter feed, so it's possible that the product is being sold under other generic descriptions, since I'm sure a place that has chicken starter feed may also have other fowl starter feed, ie, probably the non-medicated version.

I'm sure a place that has chicken starter feed may also have other fowl starter feed, ie, probably the non-medicated version.
You might be right about that-after I discovered I'd been feeding all of my girls the medication and that it had a withholding period when I went up to the stock feed place where I get my hay and chook food, I asked for some non-medicated chick starter and they didn't have any, but the guy said they had some turkey starter that wasn't medicated. I didn't get it, because I wasn't sure how the nutrition panels compared (and forgot to look it up when I found the unmedicated grower that I could use instead)

Forget all that fancy-smancy grower-finisher stuff. When you look at the ingredients on the label and the proportions, they're all practically identical.

You can stay with chick starter, but I'd go to the un-medicated, or you can start buying an all flock grower feed such as Purina Flock Raiser. Flock Raiser is what I've been feeding my flock for nine years, even the baby chicks since it's almost identical to chick starter.

When your pullets begin to lay, you can switch to layer or continue to feed the grower. Just add oyster shell free choice so they get the calcium they need. That's what I do, and I have no shortage of eggs.

The good thing about feeding an all flock feed is that chickens love it, and the other reason is you can feed it to every single chicken in a flock, babies, roosters, layers, and old retired over-the-hill hens.
X2.... I'm also a flock raiser all the time for everyone feeder.

Back
Top Bottom