Rooster has frostbite on comb and SEVERELY swollen waddle

The distended wattles is one of the signs of avian cholera. Was his comb white before it turned the dark color? Does he have a discharge from his nares and beak?

If it is cholera, an antibiotic can help reduce symptoms, but cholera can't be cured as far as I know. And it's extremely contagious, so the rest of your flock is also in danger. There's a vaccine for it.

Was he exposed to freezing temps? If not, then you have a greater chance of it being cholera.

He
Bring him inside as soon as possible and put him in a dog crate, hand a heat lamp over him and give him some electrolytes in his water and maybe fry an egg up for him. I’ll tag some people who can help. @lazy gardener @aart @casportpony @azygous @Folly's place can you guys help out?
Inside our 60* shop in a wire kennel with a heat lamp and a thermometer so I can see how warm it is for him. What temp should he be at with the heat lamp?

At 20*, for him to have frost bite this severe, I'm guessing your humidity is too very high. In order to decrease risk to the rest of your flock, you need to immediately open that coop ventilation up. If you don't have ventilation to open, it's time to install some.

I've not dealt with frost bite to this extent, even with my below zero winters. So, can't be of much help in treating this. All I can do is suggest ways to prevent it in the first place. @azygous has you covered on this. She gives good advice.

He

Inside our 60* shop in a wire kennel with a heat lamp and a thermometer so I can see how warm it is for him. What temp should he be at with the heat lamp?
I honestly don’t know. But I think what you have him at is better than the outside temperatures. If you want add the heat lamp and check on him periodically to see if he seems hot.

The distended wattles is one of the signs of avian cholera. Was his comb white before it turned the dark color? Does he have a discharge from his nares and beak?

If it is cholera, an antibiotic can help reduce symptoms, but cholera can't be cured as far as I know. And it's extremely contagious, so the rest of your flock is also in danger. There's a vaccine for it.

Was he exposed to freezing temps? If not, then you have a greater chance of it being cholera.
This morning was -26 wind-chill and -4 temp. They're in an insulated fish house with a heat lamp. It was cold enough in there to freeze the water.

I honestly don’t know. But I think what you have him at is better than the outside temperatures. If you want add the heat lamp and check on him periodically to see if he seems hot.[/QUO
At 20*, for him to have frost bite this severe, I'm guessing your humidity is too very high. In order to decrease risk to the rest of your flock, you need to immediately open that coop ventilation up. If you don't have ventilation to open, it's time to install some.

I've not dealt with frost bite to this extent, even with my below zero winters. So, can't be of much help in treating this. All I can do is suggest ways to prevent it in the first place. @azygous has you covered on this. She gives good advice.
OK. We have them in an insulated fish house with open circular vents in the peaks and they were out all day yesterday, it may have happened then.

Back
Top Bottom